- Title: McLaren report set to be published on Friday
- Date: 8th December 2016
- Summary: LAUSANNE, SWITZERLAND (FILE - DECEMBER 10, 2015) (REUTERS) INTERNATIONAL OLYMPIC COMMITTEE (IOC) BUILDING IOC MAIN ENTRANCE OLYMPIC SYMBOL BLURRING
- Embargoed: 23rd December 2016 17:46
- Keywords: WADA McLaren Russia doping report IOC Olympics
- Location: MOSCOW, ROSA KHUTOR AND SOCHI, RUSSIA / TORONTO, ONTARIO, CANADA / LAUSANNE, SWITZERLAND
- City: MOSCOW, ROSA KHUTOR AND SOCHI, RUSSIA / TORONTO, ONTARIO, CANADA / LAUSANNE, SWITZERLAND
- Country: Various
- Reuters ID: LVA0055C0ZMFB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Richard McLaren will publish the second part of his WADA commissioned report on Friday (December 9) at a news conference in London.
The much-anticipated report is expected to provide more details on an elaborate doping scheme operated by Russia at the 2014 Sochi Olympics which McLaren outlined in his original report released in July.
That led WADA to recommend that the entire Russian team should be excluded from August's Rio Olympics.
Although Russian track and field athletes and weightlifters were banned from competing at Rio, the International Olympic Committee (IOC) rejected a blanket ban and let international sports federations decide which athletes were eligible to compete.
On Wednesday (December 7), the IOC said it had extended provisional measures against Russia over its doping scandal "until further notice" pending the evaluation of a World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA)-commissioned report.
The measures, first imposed on July 19 following the publication of the first part of the so-called McLaren report, include having no IOC-sanctioned events in Russia and urging sports federations to look for alternative locations for events.
Some of the other measures, such as a ban on accreditations for Russian officials, were linked to the 2016 Rio Olympics.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Video restrictions: parts of this video may require additional clearances. Please see ‘Business Notes’ for more information.