- Title: Indonesians spend night outdoors as quake toll passes 100
- Date: 8th December 2016
- Summary: PIDIE JAYA, ACEH PROVINCE, INDONESIA (DECEMBER 8, 2016) (REUTERS) PEOPLE SITTING AT MOSQUE COURTYARD MOTHERS SITTING WITH CHILDREN OLD MAN SITTING WITH HIS HEAD BANDAGED VARIOUS OF OLD WOMAN LYING AND PEOPLE SITTING NEXT TO HER CHILDREN SITTING TOGETHER, SMILING AT CAMERA CHILD EATING VARIOUS OF WOMEN DISTRIBUTING FOOD IN PUBLIC KITCHEN (SOUNDBITE) (Bahasa Indonesian) RESIDENT WHO LOST HIS HOUSE, YUSUF AKBAR, SAYING: "Our family has no place to stay, our home got crumbled down, thus we have to stay in tents until the government help us build a new home. That's how long we will live here." (SOUNDBITE) (Bahasa Indonesian) RESIDENT MOVED OUT FROM HOUSE, MUHAMMAD YUSUF, SAYING: "Everyone wants to stay at home but in this situation we are afraid and have trauma to stay in the precarious buildings." VARIOUS OF PEOPLE AND CHILDREN SITTING IN MOSQUE COURTYARD
- Embargoed: 23rd December 2016 16:15
- Keywords: Indonesia earthquake Aceh province
- Location: PIDIE JAYA, ACEH PROVINCE, INDONESIA
- City: PIDIE JAYA, ACEH PROVINCE, INDONESIA
- Country: Indonesia
- Reuters ID: LVA0015C0YXXH
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Traumatized residents of the province of Aceh, on the northern tip of Sumatra island, spent the second day outdoors on Thursday (December 8) after a 6.5 magnitude powerful quake destroyed their homes.
Indonesia's national disaster management agency said 102 people had been killed, with more than 700 injured.
The quake, which is the worst disaster to hit the province since the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami, toppled hundreds of buildings and left thousands of people homeless.
"Our home got crumbled down, thus we have to stay in tents until the government help us build a new home. That's how long we will live here," said Yusuf Akbar, who now stays at a temporary shelter setup at local mosque'.
The province of Aceh has declared a two-week state of emergency and rescuers in Pidie Jaya regency focused their search on a market complex, which suffered more damage than other parts of the town of 140,000.
National disaster agency said many buildings in the area withstood the quake but those that collapsed were probably not built in accordance with regulations.
Experts said the Wednesday (December 7) quake did more damage than expected because of poorly constructed buildings.
The quake was the biggest disaster to hit the province since a Dec. 26, 2004, quake and tsunami, which killed more than 120,000 people in Aceh. In all, the 2004 tsunami killed 226,000 people along Indian Ocean shorelines.
The 2004 disaster centered on its western coast near provincial capital Banda Aceh. Wednesday's quake hit the east coast, about 170 km (105 miles) from Banda Aceh.
Indonesia sits on the so-called Pacific ring of fire and more than half of its 250 million people live in quake-prone areas, according to the disaster agency.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None