- Title: Iraqi troops clash with IS for control of village south of Mosul
- Date: 7th December 2016
- Summary: GANOUS VILLAGE, SOUTH OF MOSUL, IRAQ (DECEMBER 7, 2016) (REUTERS) ARMY TROOPS AND SUNNI MILITIA FIGHTERS ON ROOF OF BUILDING / AUDIO OF HEAVY GUNFIRE IRAQI SOLDIER STANDING ON ROOF FIRING ARMY SOLDIERS FIRING FROM ROOF OF BUILDING MILITARY VEHICLE IN AREA WITH FIGHTERS FIRING KORNET MISSILE / CLOUD OF DUST FIGHTER FIRING ANOTHER MISSILE / OTHERS COVERING THEIR EARS FIGHTERS FIRING MISSILE MOUNTED ON TOP OF VEHICLE / CLOUD OF SMOKE BLAST NEAR BUILDING / SMOKE AND FIRE MILITARY HUMVEES DEPLOYED TO AREA SMOKE RISING FROM BEHIND BUILDING ARMOURED VEHICLE FIRING / AUDIO OF GUNFIRE AREA / AUDIO OF GUNFIRE / PLUME OF SMOKE AT DISTANCE FIGHTER ON ROOF FIRING MACHINE-GUN FIGHTERS FIRING MACHINE-GUN (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) IRAQI FIGHTER ABBAS ZGHAYER, SAYING: "We are now in Ganous village, God willing we will enter the village and wipe out Daesh." HOUSES IN VILLAGE / AUDIO OF GUNFIRE FIGHTERS TAKING COVER NEAR BUILDING FIRING / AUDIO OF GUNFIRE AREA / AUDIO OF GUNFIRE FIGHTERS LOADING BULLETS TO BELT / AUDIO OF GUNFIRE CLOSE-UP OF AMMUNITION BELT / AUDIO OF GUNFIRE FIGHTER FIRING ANOTHER FIGHTER FIRING MILITARY VEHICLES DRIVING IN DESERT FIGHTERS AND MILITARY VEHICLE IN AREA / AUDIO OF GUNFIRE GROUP OF FIGHTERS FIRING GROUP OF FIGHTERS CHEERING AREA / AUDIO OF GUNFIRE
- Embargoed: 22nd December 2016 14:30
- Keywords: Iraq Mosul Islamic State clashes troops militia
- Location: GANOUS VILLAGE, SOUTH MOSUL, IRAQ
- City: GANOUS VILLAGE, SOUTH MOSUL, IRAQ
- Country: Iraq
- Reuters ID: LVA0015BVXWZR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Iraqi forces on Wednesday (December 7) launched an attack to capture a village south of the Islamic State-held city of Mosul.
Backed by Sunni tribal fighters, army troops engaged in heavy machine-gun clashes with the militants of the Islamic State holed up in the village of Ganous, near the town of Shirqat, about 70 km (45 miles) south of Mosul.
The forces have been fighting for the control of the village since Monday, but the militants hit back with two suicide car bombs and rocket-propelled grenades, army and police officers said. They said a humvee and an armoured vehicle were destroyed.
At least 10 soldiers and Sunni tribal fighters were killed on Monday, including two senior army officers, when they tried to retake the village.
Iraqi forces have been battling for seven weeks to crush Islamic State in Mosul. The city was seized by the militants in 2014 and is the largest in Iraq or Syria under their control.
Defeating Islamic State in Iraq's biggest northern city would help roll back the group's self-styled caliphate over large parts of both countries.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None