- Title: Six police officers killed in Cairo bomb blast
- Date: 9th December 2016
- Summary: CAIRO, EGYPT (DECEMBER 9, 2016) (REUTERS) POLICE TAPE SURROUNDING BLAST AREA / POLICE ON GUARD POLICE STANDING NEAR TAPE CIVILIAN VEHICLE DAMAGED BY BLAST POLICE VEHICLES DAMAGED BY BLAST POLICE VEHICLES WITH DAMAGED WINDOWS BROKEN WINDOWS ON POLICE VEHICLE AMBULANCE AND FIRE TRUCK IN STREET PARAMEDICS AT THE SCENE (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) EYEWITNESS, AHMED AL-DEEB, SAYING: "We were standing at a distance of 100 to 150 metres (from the blast) and all of a sudden we heard an explosion. When we looked over, we couldn't see anything, from the floor to the sky it was all dust, when we saw what happened, everybody just dropped what they were doing and ran." POLICE TAPE CORDONING OFF BLAST AREA POLICE VEHICLES DAMAGED IN BLAST POLICE NEAR SCENE OF BLAST (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) EYEWITNESS, AHMED AL-DEEB, SAYING: "When we got closer to the blast we found two police officers, one of them had debris wedged in his chest, and another was on the brink of death. We moved them to the other side (of the road). We tried to reach the ones who are on the inside, as soon as we got closer, we found one policeman who was on the ground near the car, but he was still alive, but another one we found between the two cars, who was dead. Behind the car, we found a policeman with his leg cut off, and another officer next to him with his leg cut off." BROKEN GLASS SEEN ON GROUND NEXT TO DAMAGED CARS POLICEMAN CARRYING WEAPON VARIOUS OF DAMAGED CIVILIAN VEHICLES
- Embargoed: 24th December 2016 11:13
- Keywords: Egypt violence blast bombing police Cairo
- Location: CAIRO, EGYPT
- City: CAIRO, EGYPT
- Country: Egypt
- Reuters ID: LVA0015C5WNK7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Six policemen were killed and three wounded on Friday (December 9) when a roadside bomb exploded near a security checkpoint in Cairo, the interior ministry said.
The attack took place close to a government building in a middle-class neighbourhood of Cairo. It was the latest in a series of security incidents often claimed by radical Islamists.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the blast in which four civilians were also hurt, security sources said.
The policemen were either in or near their car when the device went off, the sources said.
The ministry said a security cordon had been thrown around the scene of the attack near a mosque in the Giza district of the Egyptian capital.
Eyewitness Ahmed Al-Deeb described a scene of carnage, with dead and dying policemen lying next to wrecked cars. One of the policemen had blast fragments in his chest and two more had lost legs, he told Reuters.
Security forces killed three gunmen on Tuesday in a raid on a hideout in southern Egypt used by what they described as an armed wing of the Muslim Brotherhood, which claimed responsibility in September for an assassination attempt on a senior prosecutor.
An Egyptian general was killed by militants on November 4 near his home in North Sinai in an attack for which Islamic State claimed responsibility. He was the second military officer of his rank to be shot dead in as many weeks.
Hundreds of soldiers and police have been killed in an Islamist insurgency led by Islamic State in the Sinai Peninsula.
Attacks have stepped up since the military overthrew President Mohamed Mursi of the Muslim Brotherhood, Egypt's oldest Islamist movement, in 2013 following mass protests against him.
Judges, policemen and senior officials have been targeted by radical Islamists angered by long prison sentences imposed on members of the now-outlawed Brotherhood.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None