- Title: Indonesian President visits residents in Aceh's quake zone
- Date: 9th December 2016
- Summary: WIDODO LEAVING
- Embargoed: 24th December 2016 04:52
- Keywords: Indonesia President Joko Widodo mosque residents visit quake disaster Widodo homes
- Location: PIDIE JAYA, INDONESIA
- City: PIDIE JAYA, INDONESIA
- Country: Indonesia
- Reuters ID: LVA0035C5VPL1
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Indonesia's President Joko Widodo visited evacuated residents at a mosque in the quake-hit area of Aceh province on Friday (December 9).
Many are staying in makeshift tents in the courtyard after the Atta Karuf Mosque and their homes collapsed following Wednesday's (December 7) 6.5 magnitude quake.
Widodo greeted the gathering, telling them that the mosque's reconstruction would start the following day (December 10).
"I've seen the damage in Atta Karuf Mosque, and I've ordered to reconstruct this mosque immediately," Widodo said. "But we need to work together."
Indonesia's national disaster management agency has revised the death toll from the quake down to 100 people, citing duplicate data, after saying 102 had died on Thursday (December 8).
Over 700 were injured in the quake and thousands left homeless.
The province of Aceh, on the northern tip of Sumatra island, has declared a two-week state of emergency.
The quake was the biggest disaster to hit the province since a December 26, 2004, quake and tsunami, which killed more than 120,000 people in Aceh. In all, the 2004 tsunami killed 226,000 people along Indian Ocean shorelines.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.