- Title: Indonesia's quake survivors perform Friday prayers
- Date: 9th December 2016
- Summary: VARIOUS OF MUSLIMS PERFORMING FRIDAY PRAYERS
- Embargoed: 24th December 2016 09:29
- Keywords: Indonesia quake Aceh prayers Muslims Islam mosque Friday prayers prayers
- Location: PIDIE JAYA, ACEH PROVINCE, INDONESIA
- City: PIDIE JAYA, ACEH PROVINCE, INDONESIA
- Country: Indonesia
- Reuters ID: LVA0025C5VQDH
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Hundreds of quake survivors in Indonesia's Aceh province performed prayers next to a collapsed mosque on Friday (December 9) after a magnitude 6.5 earthquake rattled the area two days earlier, killing 100 people.
Pilgrims said their prayers on colourful mats that were hastily laid out in the compound of the collapsed Jamiquba Mosque.
"We have experienced too much disasters, it is a warning given by the God for us that we should perform good deeds and act positively every day," said Afriandi, who goes by one name like many Indonesians.
"We as Muslim should pray to the God frequently so these disaster won't happen again," added another pilgrim, Ridzwan.
The quake on Wednesday (December 7) toppled dozens of buildings, injured hundreds of people, and was the worst disaster to hit the region since the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami.
Officials said the search and rescue operations were nearing an end with nearly all victims identified.
The province of Aceh, on the northern tip of Sumatra Island, has declared a two-week state of emergency and the central government has pledged aid for recovery efforts.
Indonesia has the world's largest Muslim population, the majority of which practices a moderate form of Islam. Aceh is the most conservative province in the country and the only one to abide by Islamic Sharia law.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.