- Title: South Korean protesters celebrate impeachment vote
- Date: 9th December 2016
- Summary: PROTEST IN PROGRESS
- Embargoed: 24th December 2016 10:02
- Keywords: protest parliament lawmakers impeachment vote president park geun-hye national assembly
- Location: SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA
- City: SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA
- Country: South Korea
- Reuters ID: LVA0085C5VXHH
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Jubilant South Koreans celebrated with cheers and dances on Friday (December 9) after lawmakers voted to impeach embattled President Park Geun-hye over an influence-pedalling scandal.
Members of parliament voted by a higher-than-expected 234 in favour and 56 opposed in the secret ballot, meaning more than 60 of Park's own conservative Saenuri Party members backed the motion to remove her. The votes of least 200 members of the 300-seat chamber were needed for the motion to pass.
Outside parliament, a large crowd of demonstrators who had gathered to await the outcome, cheered at the news the motion had passed.
The Constitutional Court must decide whether to uphold the motion, a process that could take up to 180 days. Under the constitution, Park's duties will be assumed by Prime Minister Hwang Kyo-ahn on an interim basis until the court rules.
Park is accused of colluding with a friend and a former aide to pressure big businesses to donate to two foundations set up to back her policy initiatives.
Mass rallies have been held in the capital, Seoul, every Saturday for the past six weeks to press her to resign.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.