- Title: 'Toni Erdmann' sweeps European Film Awards, Pierce Brosnan given honorary award
- Date: 11th December 2016
- Summary: JOURNALIST LOOKING AT EVENT TWITTER
- Embargoed: 26th December 2016 00:42
- Keywords: Awards European film Pierce Brosnan honorary
- Location: WROCLAW, POLAND
- City: WROCLAW, POLAND
- Country: Poland
- Reuters ID: LVA0025CAWYEX
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: 'Toni Erdmann' swept the board at the European Film Awards in Poland on Saturday (December 10) night.
The picture, a German-Austrian comedy drama, received awards in most important categories being recognized as the best movie and also gaining prizes for the best director, screenwriter (both Maren Ade), actor (Peter Simonischek) and actress (Sandra Huller).
"It's really hard to say why your own film has a success because I know how it continues after each cut so when I see my film it's a different film to me. But I can say that I hope that the film has a universal centre, maybe that's this father-daughter story. I always try to construct the film so open that it has different angles, different perspectives, so that every viewer can interact with the film or go for a walk in the film on his own," Ade said of the film.
Actor Pierce Brosnan was presented an honorary award for European Achievement in World Cinema, which seemed to put him in a reflective mood about his career.
"I've enjoyed the journey all the way and every job has had a great meaning to me and kind of haikus of my own life and a period of friendship and relationships and family and I have just revelled and relished being an actor. Hopefully the work maintains. We want it always to be a success, sometimes they are not but you move on and move on fast," he told reporters.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Video restrictions: parts of this video may require additional clearances. Please see ‘Business Notes’ for more information.