- Title: Eight bodies of drowned migrants recovered by Libyan Red Crescent rescuers
- Date: 10th December 2016
- Summary: TAJURA, LIBYA (DECEMBER 10, 2016) (REUTERS) POLICE TRUCK, WORKERS WORKERS STANDING BY VEHICLES RED CRESCENT RESCUERS BY COAST RESCUERS INSPECTING RECOVERED BODY OF DROWNED MIGRANT RESCUERS PUTTING RECOVERED BODY IN BLACK BAG VARIOUS OF RESCUERS CARRYING BODY IN BLACK BAG RESCUERS STANDING BY COASTLINE
- Embargoed: 25th December 2016 19:48
- Keywords: Libya Tajura migrants Red Crescent bodies
- Location: TAJURA, LIBYA
- City: TAJURA, LIBYA
- Country: Libya
- Reuters ID: LVA0015CAWHTZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: THIS EDIT CONTAINS GRAPHIC IMAGES
Libyan Red Crescent rescuers recovered eight migrant bodies in Tajura, 20 km. east of Tripoli on Saturday (December 10).
The death toll in the Mediterranean, the most dangerous border crossing on the planet for migrants, is estimated to be 4,636 this year, 1,000 more than in all of 2015, according to the International Organization for Migration (IOM).
Red Crescent rescuer, Abdel Karim Zeab, said that they were informed that the bodies were those of illegal migrants.
"We were informed of bodies that landed on the coastline of Tajura. We responded to the call and picked up eight bodies near the coast of Tajura and also we recovered 15 bodies yesterday and the total is near 23 bodies," he said.
Migrants, mainly from West Africa, are taking to the sea from Libya in flimsy rubber boats, trying to reach Italian islands and Europe, where they have little hope of being granted asylum, IOM spokesman Leonard Doyle said.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None