- Title: Torch parade celebrates Colombian Nobel Peace Prize winner
- Date: 10th December 2016
- Summary: OSLO, NORWAY (DECEMBER 10, 2016) (REUTERS) ***WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** KARL JOAHAN STREET OUTSIDE GRAND HOTEL DECORATED WITH NOBEL PEACE PRIZE BANNERS GRAND HOTEL BALCONY GRAND HOTEL SPECTATOR WITH COLOMBIAN FLAG (SOUNDBITE) (English) SPECTATOR, KEVIN STIRE, SAYING: "I think it's brilliant. It's definitely the most noteworthy peace-making effort that we've seen this year, so I think he deserves it." NORWEGIAN HAT TORCH PARADE TORCH PARADE WITH COLOMBIAN FLAG VARIOUS OF SPECTATORS WITH TORCHES VARIOUS OF JOURNALISTS COLOMBIAN PRESIDENT, JUAN MANUEL SANTOS, WALKING ONTO BALCONY AND WAVING SPECTATORS SANTOS AND PRESIDENTIAL FAMILY (SOUNDBITE) (English) SPECTATOR, LUCAS KIMBAH, SAYING: "It's like, when you give this prize to someone, it's like a mission also for this person to keep going in this direction. Not only that it's recognised that he was something for the peace inside the country, but also a mission for him to say, okay, keep going this way." SANTOS LEAVING BALCONY
- Embargoed: 25th December 2016 21:22
- Keywords: torch parade Nobel Santos peace Oslo
- Location: OSLO, NORWAY
- City: OSLO, NORWAY
- Country: Norway
- Reuters ID: LVA0015CAVSJR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Hundreds of people lined the main street of Oslo on Saturday (December 10) in a torchlight parade to honour this year's Nobel Peace Prize winner, Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos.
Santos collected the 2016 prize for reaching an accord with Marxist rebels, the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia - better known as FARC - that brought an end to a 52-year civil war in which more than 200,000 people lost their lives.
Participants in Oslo waved Colombian flags in honour of Santos.
The Colombian president received a cheque for 8 million Swedish crowns in recognition of his role as the "driving force" in negotiations, according to the Nobel Committee that awarded him the prize.
The prize is always presented in Oslo on December 10, the anniversary of the death of Swedish industrialist Alfred Nobel, who founded the award in his 1895 will.
Nobel Day in Oslo ends with a banquet at the Grand Hotel.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None