- Title: Erdogan holds cabinet meeting following Kurdish militant attacks in Istanbul
- Date: 11th December 2016
- Summary: ISTANBUL, TURKEY (DECEMBER 11, 2016) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF CROWDS CARRYING TURKISH FLAGS MARCHING TO BESIKTAS STADIUM PEOPLE GATHERED OUTSIDE THE STADIUM VARIOUS OF PEOPLE CHANTING SLOGANS MEN HOLDING UP TURKISH FLAG / WATER CANNON DRIVING PAST VARIOUS OF DEMONSTRATIONS UNDERWAY
- Embargoed: 26th December 2016 15:59
- Keywords: Turkey bombings casualties TAK PKK Kurds Tayyip Erdogan security meeting rallies
- Location: ISTANBUL, TURKEY
- City: ISTANBUL, TURKEY
- Country: Turkey
- Reuters ID: LVA0025CFVSCN
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan convened a security meeting of government ministers and senior bureaucrats on Sunday (December 11), presidential sources said, a day after a twin bombing in Istanbul killed more than 30 people.
The government said the bombing, which left 38 people dead and 155 wounded, was likely to be the work of the outlawed militant Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK).
Shortly after the cabinet meeting started an offshoot of the Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) claimed responsibility for the attack.
In a statement on its website, the Kurdistan Freedom Hawks (TAK) said it had carried out the attacks. TAK has taken responsibility for other deadly attacks in Turkey this year.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None