- Title: Guitars owned by Jimi Hendrix and Prince up for auction in London
- Date: 12th December 2016
- Summary: VARIOUS OF WOMAN PLAYING "BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY" BY QUEEN ON IMPERIAL BOSENDORFER PIANO USED AT WESSEX STUDIOS WHERE IT WAS PLAYED BY FREDDIE MERCURY
- Embargoed: 27th December 2016 13:12
- Keywords: Jimi Hendrix Music Prince Queen David Bowie Bonhams Auction Guitars Rare London
- Location: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- City: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- Country: United Kingdom
- Reuters ID: LVA0025CKWQXL
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: A rare guitar owned by Jimi Hendrix for three years is one of a number of items set to go on auction as part of Bonham's annual entertainment sale on Thursday (December 15).
The Epiphone acoustic guitar, which Hendrix purchased second-hand for $25 in New York City, is expected to sell between 80,000-120,000 pounds ($100,000-150,000).
"It was actually the guitar he owned for the longest period, which was three years and because it's an acoustic guitar, it is quite likely that he composed some of his songs on it. It's something that he kept very dear to him. We have a photo of him playing an identical guitar and we're very excited to see it coming up for sale," said Katherine Schofield, Head of Bonhams entertainment department.
Other items on auction include a custom-made cloud guitar used on tour by Prince in 1993, expected to sell for £25,000-30,000 ($32,000-38,000), a flamboyant jacket worn on stage by Rolling Stone Keith Richard in 1967, rare Beatles self-portrait caricatures signed by the band and a Bosendorfer piano played by Queen's Freddie Mercury at Wessex studios.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.