- Title: Kenya oil tanker accident kills at least 25 in fire - Red Cross
- Date: 11th December 2016
- Summary: NAIVASHA, KENYA (ORIGINALLY 4:3 MATERIAL) (DECEMBER 10, 2016) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF CARS BURNING VARIOUS OF BURNT CAR WRECKAGES ONLOOKERS LOOKING AT A BURNING VEHICLE ONLOOKERS TRY TO RETRIEVE BODY FROM THE CAR RED CROSS OFFICIALS CARRY A DEAD BODY DEAD BODIES COVERED ON THE GROUND RED CROSS AMBULANCE MOVING BODIES FROM SITE AMBULANCE DRIVING / SIRENS (SOUNDBITE) (English and Swahili) UNNAMED VICTIM, SAYING: "I was driving my own vehicle and when we got here I heard a sound from a distance and when I looked I saw fire, I tried to save my mother… (starts crying)" PEOPLE LOOKING AT SCENE RED CROSS OFFICIALS CARRYING BODY RED CROSS OFFICIALS COVERING BODIES ON THE GROUND FIRE ENGINE ONSITE
- Embargoed: 26th December 2016 01:01
- Keywords: oil tanker fireball Red Cross
- Location: NAIVASHA, KENYA
- City: NAIVASHA, KENYA
- Country: Kenya
- Reuters ID: LVA0015CFTQVB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:++ EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: CONTAINS MATERIAL ORIGINALLY 4:3 ++
A fireball from an oil tanker on one of Kenya's main highways has engulfed several vehicles and killed at least 25 people, a Red Cross official said on Sunday (December 11).
"We have so far collected 25 bodies from the scene of the accident after a lorry heading to Uganda lost control and rammed into several vehicles," said Red Cross official Felister Kioko at the scene.
The accident happened late on Saturday (December 10) night 10 kilometers (six miles) north of the central town of Naivasha.
In 2009, more than 100 people burned to death near the central town of Molo after a lorry carrying petrol caught fire.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None