- Title: Iraq says army makes gains in gruelling Mosul battle
- Date: 11th December 2016
- Summary: CTS SOLDIERS STANDING IN STREET NEAR BODIES OF ISLAMIC STATE MILITANTS
- Embargoed: 26th December 2016 20:30
- Keywords: Mosul Iraq Islamic State Daesh assault advance Abdul Ghani al-Asadi
- Location: No-Data-Available
- City: No-Data-Available
- Country: Iraq
- Reuters ID: LVA0025CFWC3R
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: THIS EDIT CONTAINS GRAPHIC IMAGES
The Iraqi army said it took full control of one more district of east Mosul on Sunday (December 11), pushing back Islamic State militants in a slow and hard-fought advance into the city whose one million residents face growing shortages of fuel, water and food.
A military statement said elite Counter Terrorism Service troops took over the neighbourhood of al-Noor, expanding their area of control in the east of the city.
Despite the reported advance, the army's progress in Mosul remains painstakingly slow, with soldiers facing brutal counter attacks from the hugely outnumbered but well prepared and heavily armed jihadists who have controlled the city since mid-2104.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None