- Title: Dozens killed in Nigerian church collapse -photojournalist
- Date: 11th December 2016
- Summary: UYO, AKWA IBOM, NIGERIA (DECEMBER 11, 2016) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF COLLAPSED CHURCH
- Embargoed: 26th December 2016 11:08
- Keywords: Akwa Ibom Lagos Nigeria church collapse building
- Location: UYO, AKWA IBOM, AND LAGOS, NIGERIA
- City: UYO, AKWA IBOM, AND LAGOS, NIGERIA
- Country: Nigeria
- Reuters ID: LVA0015CFUWQV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: QUALITY AS INCOMING
Dozens of people were killed by the collapse of a church in southeastern Nigeria, a photojournalist who visited the town morgue said on Sunday (December 11), a day after the incident.
Police said 27 had been killed and 30 injured when the church in Akwa Ibom state capital Uyo collapsed during a service on Saturday (December 10). State emergency agency NEMA said in a statement that six people had been killed and 115 injured.
Nigerian state news agency NAN said on its website 60 worshippers had been reported killed in the collapse.
One man at the scene on Sunday (December 11) gave a higher toll.
"Although we can't really say exactly how many lives have gone, but from the toll we have at least 100 body bags in different hospitals around the state. We have dead bodies in Uyo Teaching Hospital," musician Tony Eminue said.
The governor of the Akwa Ibom state, Udom Emmanuel , was in attendance when the church building collapsed but he was unhurt.
The state government said flags will be flown at half mast and have declared Sunday and Monday (December 12) as days of mourning.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None