- Title: Oil truck fireball kills at least 42 in central Kenya
- Date: 11th December 2016
- Summary: NAIVASHA, KENYA (DECEMBER 11, 2016) (REUTERS) VARIOUS DEBRIS ENGULFED IN SMOKE REMAINS OF THE TRUCK THAT CAUSED THE ACCIDENT VARIOUS OF ONLOOKERS LOOKING AT A BURNT OUT VEHICLE VARIOUS BURNT VEHICLES ONLOOKERS WALKING NEAR BURNT VEHICLE ONLOOKERS HOLDING BULLETS COLLECTED FROM THE SCENE VARIOUS GRIEVING FAMILY LOOKING AT REMAINS OF A CAR DRIVEN BY THEIR RELATIVE WIDE SCENE OF THE ACCIDENT
- Embargoed: 26th December 2016 08:31
- Keywords: Kenya oil tanker
- Location: NAIVASHA, KENYA
- City: NAIVASHA, KENYA
- Country: Kenya
- Reuters ID: LVA0015CFU2PZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: One of Kenya's main highways was littered with burnt out vehicles on Sunday (December 11) after a oil tanker bust into flames.
At least 42 people were killed from the fireball which happened after the driver, whose tanker was loaded with petroleum products, lost control of the vehicle after hitting a speed bump on Saturday (December 10) and rammed into vehicles north of the central town of Naivasha then exploded.
An official in Naivasha said 50 people were being treated in several hospitals for burns, eight of them in a serious condition.
In 2009, more than 100 people burned to death near the central town of Molo after a lorry carrying petrol caught fire.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None