- Title: Merkel says Germany to stick to 'one China' policy
- Date: 12th December 2016
- Summary: HONOUR GUARD STANDING TO ATTENTION VARIOUS OF MERKEL AND PLENKOVIC LISTENING TO ANTHEMS MILITARY BAND PLAYING ANTHEM MERKEL AND PLENKOVIC LISTENING CROATIAN, GERMAN AND EU FLAGS VARIOUS OF MERKEL AND PLENKOVIC WALKING PAS HONOUR GUARD ON RED CARPET
- Embargoed: 27th December 2016 14:37
- Keywords: Merkel China Taiwan One China
- Location: BERLIN, GERMANY
- City: BERLIN, GERMANY
- Country: Germany
- Reuters ID: LVA0025CKVO7B
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Germany will not change its "one China" policy, Chancellor Angela Merkel said on Monday (December 12), distancing herself from comments by President-elect Donald Trump that the United States could reconsider its long-held policy that Taiwan is part of China.
"We still stand by a 'one China' policy and we will not change our stance," Merkel told a news conference with Croatian Prime Minister Andrej Plenkovic when asked about Trump's remarks questioning nearly four decades of U.S. policy.
China said on Monday it was seriously concerned by Trump's comments, adding that cooperation was "out of the question" if Washington could not recognise Beijing's core interest on Taiwan.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.