- Title: Iraqi forces make new push into eastern Mosul
- Date: 28th November 2016
- Summary: MASAREF DISTRICT, EAST OF MOSUL, IRAQ (NOVEMBER 28, 2016) (REUTERS) COUNTER-TERRORISM SERVICE (CTS) MEMBER RUNNING DOWN STREET FOLLOWED BY CTS HUMVEE/ AUDIO OF GUNFIRE CTS MEMBER AND HUMVEE IN STREET/ AUDIO OF HEAVY GUNFIRE GROUP OF CTS MEMBERS NEAR HUMVEE IN STREET/ AUDIO OF HEAVY GUNFIRE CTS HUMVEE IN STREET OF MASAREF NEIGHBOURHOOD TWO CTS MEMBERS IN STREET WITH ONE TAKING COVER BEHIND WALL AND ANOTHER BEHIND HUMVEE LIEUTENANT GENERAL OF CTS, ABDUL WAHAB AL-SADI, WITH GROUP OF OFFICERS WALKING ALONG STREET GROUP OF CTS MEMBERS NEAR HOUSE WITH CTS MEMBER USING HAMMER TO OPEN DOOR (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) LIEUTENANT GENERAL OF CTS, ABDUL WAHAB AL-SADI, SAYING: "Thank God, this part of the mission was successfully implemented. Our forces have not incurred any losses. We disabled all the car bombs in this sector." CTS MEMBER STANDING GUARD IN STREET/ AUDIO OF GUNFIRE CTS MEMBER TAKING COVER BEHIND WALL HUMVEE DRIVING PAST GROUP OF CTS MEMBERS IN STREET (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) LIEUTENANT GENERAL OF CTS, ABDUL WAHAB AL-SADI, SAYING: "This area is the end of Masaref district, close to it is Sukar district. Abadi junction lies there (pointing) just behind the tank. We are now clearing these areas." CTS MEMBERS KICKING OPEN DOOR OF HOUSE /PREPARING TO STORM HOUSE CTS HUMVEE IN STREET / AUDIO OF GUNFIRE GROUP OF CTS MEMBERS TAKING SHELTER BEHIND WALL HUMVEES IN STREET/ AUDIO OF GUNFIRE TWO CTS MEMBERS RUNNING DOWN STREET/ MILITARY VEHICLE CTS MEMBERS IN STREET
- Embargoed: 13th December 2016 15:40
- Keywords: Masaref district Mosul Iraq Counter-Terrorism Service Islamic State IS offensive
- Location: EASTERN MOSUL OUTSKIRTS, IRAQ
- City: EASTERN MOSUL OUTSKIRTS, IRAQ
- Country: Iraq
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Military Conflicts
- Reuters ID: LVA0015AD0PXJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Iraqi special forces said they recaptured six districts of eastern Mosul on Monday (November 28), expanding the army's foothold in the Islamic State bastion.
Counter Terrorism Service (CTS) Commander, Lieutenant General Abdul Wahab al-Saidi, whose forces are spearheading the Mosul offensive, said troops had launched an operation against the militants in the Masaref and Sukar districts on the eastern outskirts of Mosul.
Heavy gunfire echoed across the neighbourhood as CTS forces, backed by armoured personnel carriers, cleared houses, one by one, to flush out Islamic State militants who might be inside.
The offensive to take Mosul started on October 17 with air and ground support from a U.S.-led coalition.
Mosul is already ringed to the north, south and east by Iraqi government forces and Kurdish peshmerga forces. The U.S.-trained CTS breached Islamic State defences in east Mosul at the end of October.
The CTS special forces spearheading the advance into Mosul are part of a 100,000-strong force of army, security forces, Kurdish peshmerga fighters and mainly Shi'ite "Popular Mobilisation" forces aiming to drive Islamic State from the largest city under their control in Iraq or Syria.
Mosul is still home to nearly 1.5 million people, who risk being caught up in brutal urban warfare.
The United Nations has warned of a potential humanitarian crisis and a refugee exodus. Iraqi officials say Islamic State is holding the civilian population as human shields.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None