- Title: U.S. Secretary of Defense Carter welcomes his French counterpart to Washington
- Date: 28th November 2016
- Summary: VARIOUS OF LE DRIAN AND CARTER STANDING ON STEPS AS THE FRENCH NATIONAL ANTHEM IS PLAYED U.S. MILITARY BAND LE DRIAN AND CARTER STANDING AS U.S. NATIONAL ANTHEM IS PLAYED LE DRIAN AND CARTER TURNING AND WALKING INTO THE BUILDING
- Embargoed: 13th December 2016 20:15
- Keywords: Ash Carter Jean-Yves Le Drian France U.S. Defense Minister
- Location: WASHINGTON, D.C., UNITED STATES
- City: WASHINGTON, D.C., UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Topics: Defence,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0025AD1PHJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:U.S. Secretary of Defense Ash Carter welcomed French Defense Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian to Washington, D.C. on Monday for bilateral talks on mutual security concerns. A statement issued by the Pentagon before Le Drian's arrival said the topics would include the ongoing campaign against Islamic State in Syria and Iraq.
This is the fourth meeting with between the two men in five months. They also met at a NATO defense meeting in October. It comes as the U.S. is preparing for a change in administration. President-elect Donald Trump has vowed to take the U.S. in a completely different direction from the Obama Administration. During his campaign, he questioned whether the United States should protect allies seen as spending too little on their defense, raising fears that he could withdraw funding for NATO at a time of heightened tensions with Russia. However, following his election, NATO said he and Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg agreed during a phone conversation on the Western alliance's "enduring importance", striving to reassure Europe that Washington will remain committed to its security.
Carter has pledged to oversee an orderly transition to a Trump administration. The president-elect has not yet named a nominee for the post.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.