- Title: Homemade aircrafts plunge into sea in Hong Kong competition
- Date: 28th November 2016
- Summary: TEAM ''DIMENSION JUMPER ALPHA'' PERFORMING WIDE OF PEOPLE WATCHING
- Embargoed: 13th December 2016 15:36
- Keywords: Hong Kong harbour aircraft runway homemade
- Location: No-Data-Available
- City: No-Data-Available
- Country: China
- Reuters ID: LVA0045AD0PC1
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Dozens of colourful handmade aircraft attempted to fly off Hong Kong's old airport runway before plummeting into the iconic Victoria Harbor on Sunday (November 27).
The majority of the 41 funky and wonderful aircrafts in shapes of cartoon characters, foods and animals plunged straight into the water without flying more than a metre.
Hong Kong's third Red Bull Flugtag event drew a few hundreds of spectators. Members of the audience waved flags and cheered on the teams.
Team "Blank Space" won the event flying through the air in a machine shaped like a green alien spaceship.
Four participants were slightly injured after they plunged into the sea, with one woman fainting and other victims suffering from light injuries such as cuts. All of the victims were taken to hospital for examination and treatment.
The Red Bull Flugtag contest started in Vienna in 1992, and has now been held more than 44 countries including the United States, Germany and Australia.
Hong Kong became the first city in Asia to host Red Bull Flugtag - 'flight day' in German - in 2010.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None