- Title: France's Juppe concedes defeat, backs Fillon in presidential election
- Date: 27th November 2016
- Summary: PARIS, FRANCE (NOVEMBER 27, 2016) (AGENCY POOL) JUPPE WAVING TO SUPPORTERS AS HE LEAVES STAGE JUPPE SURROUNDED BY CROWD AND JOURNALISTS JUPPE WALKING UP STAIRS SUPPORTERS STANDING IN AUDITORIUM
- Embargoed: 12th December 2016 20:55
- Keywords: Francois Fillon Alain Juppe presidential primary Les Republicains conservative right-wing centrist
- Location: PARIS, FRANCE
- City: PARIS, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Government/Politics,Elections/Voting
- Reuters ID: LVA0045A7YY4N
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:French conservative primaries' candidate Alain Juppe on Sunday (November 27) conceded defeat in the race to become his camp's candidate in next year's presidential election, and said he would support victor Francois Fillon.
"I congratulate Francois Fillon for his substantial victory," Juppe said.
"I wish him good luck for his upcoming presidential campaign and victory next May," he added.
Fillon outflanked Juppe and former president Nicolas Sarkozy after a campaign in which Juppe emerged looking soft and pandering to the left, and Sarkozy's rhetoric steered too close to extremism for some.
"I end this campaign as I started it: as a free man who did not compromise on who he is what he thinks," Juppe said.
"I gave 40 years of my life to serving France. And this has brought me great happiness and some pain," he said, telling voters the task at hand for them was "thrilling".
Partial results based on half the primaries' polling stations showed Fillon winning by a wide margin.
- Copyright Holder: POOL (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None