- Title: Russia detains former Navy official in Crimea for spying for Ukraine
- Date: 24th November 2016
- Summary: SEVASTOPOL, CRIMEA (NOVEMBER 24, 2016) (REUTERS) GATES IN FRONT OF RUSSIAN BLACK SEA FLEET HEADQUARTERS RUSSIAN STATE EMBLEM ON GATES OFFICER CLOSING GATE NAMEPLATE READING (Russian): “RUSSIAN BLACK SEA FLEET HEADQUARTERS" EXTERIOR RUSSIAN BLACK SEA FLEET HEADQUARTERS BEHIND GATES RUSSIAN FLAG ON TOP RUSSIAN BLACK SEA FLEET HEADQUARTERS BUILDING, CARS DRIVING BY
- Embargoed: 9th December 2016 12:01
- Keywords: Russia Ukraine Crimea Federal security service spy Russia navy
- Location: SEVASTOPOL, CRIMEA
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA00259T0A4N
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Russia's Federal Security Service (FSB) has detained a former Russian navy official, Leonid Parkhomenko, in Crimea who is accused of spying for the Ukrainian military, the FSB announced on its website on Thursday.
The FSB said it detained the former Naval captain in Sevastopol on Tuesday (November 22) and that he was collecting information on Russia's Black Sea fleet for Ukraine. He is charged with treason.
The Security Service of Ukraine (SBU) on Tuesday (November 22) released footage of detention of two Russian soldiers near the border with Crimea, saying the men were deserters from the Ukrainian army.
Ukraine claimed they were detained at checkpoint 'Chongar' on the side of Ukrainian-controlled territory while Russia says they were seized in Crimea.
Moscow and Kiev have been locked in conflict since Russia's annexation of the Crimean peninsula and an uprising by pro-Russian separatists in east Ukraine.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None