- Title: Ukrainian servicemen continue to exhange fire with rebels in east
- Date: 23rd November 2016
- Summary: NEAR AVDIYIVKA, UKRAINE (NOVEMBER 22, 2016) (REUTERS) SERVICEMAN LOADING AMMUNITION INTO CARTRIDGE-BELT AMMUNITION IN BOX SERVICEMAN LOADING AMMUNITION INTO CARTRIDGE-BELT SERVICEMAN TAKING CARTRIDGE-BELT OUT OF BOX SERVICEMAN FIRING GRENADE LAUNCHER SHELLS ON GROUND SERVICEMAN FIRING MACHINE GUN / AUDIBLE GUNFIRE CARTRIDGE-BELT AND HEADPHONES IN BOX SERVICEMAN AT POSITION FENCE / AUDIBLE GUNFIRE (SOUNDBITE) (Ukrainian) UKRAINIAN SERVICEMAN, NO NAME GIVEN, SAYING: "They ask for truce every day, but they do not adhere to truce because they fire small arms. In the evening, around 6 p.m. they start firing mortars. They asked for truce and they are the first to violate it." BIRD NEAR BOX WITH AMMUNITION VARIOUS OF SERVICEMAN LOADING AMMUNITION INTO CARTRIDGE-BELT FIRE SERVICEMEN SITTING AT TABLE AND EATING
- Embargoed: 8th December 2016 10:29
- Keywords: Ukraine east fighting conflict pro-Russian rebels
- Location: NEAR AVDIYIVKA, UKRAINE
- City: NEAR AVDIYIVKA, UKRAINE
- Country: Ukraine
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Military Conflicts
- Reuters ID: LVA00159O0M61
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Ukrainian servicemen were seen firing grenade launcher and machine gun in early hours of Tuesday (November 22) in response to rebels' firing at Ukrainian positions near Avdiyivka, 15 km. north from eastern town of Donetsk.
Ukraine's defence ministry said rebels used mortars, grenade launchers and small arms in the direction of Avdiyivka on Tuesday.
The leaders of Ukraine, Russia, Germany and France agreed a deal to end fighting in eastern Ukraine at talks in Minsk, Belarus, in February 2015. Both sides accuse each other of constant truce violations.
"They ask for truce every day, but they do not adhere to truce because they fire small arms. In the evening, around 6 p.m. they start firing mortars. They asked for truce and they are the first to violate it," a Ukrainian serviceman said.
Moscow and Kiev have been locked in the conflict since Russia's annexation of the Crimean peninsula and an uprising by pro-Russian separatists in eastern Donetsk and Luhansk regions.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None