- Title: Argentina react to winning Davis Cup title
- Date: 27th November 2016
- Summary: VARIOUS OF ARGENTINA DAVIS CUP TEAM PLAYERS IN NEWS CONFERENCE/DAVIS CUP TEAM SINGING AND CELEBRATING
- Embargoed: 12th December 2016 22:56
- Keywords: Davis Cup Croatia Argentina
- Location: ZAGREB, CROATIA
- City: ZAGREB, CROATIA
- Country: Croatia
- Topics: Sport,Tennis
- Reuters ID: LVA0025A7Y79B
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Argentina took their first Davis Cup title on Sunday (November 27) after Juan Martin Del Potro and Federico Delbonis won their singles matches to complete the South American nation's spectacular comeback in a 3-2 victory over hosts Croatia in the final.
Del Potro fought back from two sets down to beat Marin Cilic 6-7(4) 2-6 7-5 6-4 6-3 before Delbonis swept aside Ivo Karlovic 6-3 6-4 6-2 in the decisive rubber, sparking wild celebrations among several thousand away fans in the Zagreb Arena.
"What Juan Martin did in the first match was amazing. Regardless how good he is as a player, his heart is huge. Huge. Especially when he represents his country. And he showed it today, turning around a match that... it seemed impossible. And Federico later - he just played a perfect match. He was on top of every ball, he felt so comfortable on the court," Argentina captain, Daniel Orsanic, told a news conference.
Argentina joined the list of Davis Cup winners after losing all four finals they had previously contested and their dismal record in the title showdown appeared set to continue when Cilic came within a set of clinching Croatia's second title.
The 2005 winners saw the red carpet pulled from under their feet, however, as a battling Del Potro launched a ferocious comeback and played through the fifth set with a broken finger on his left hand.
Having won the opening set's tie-break Cilic raced through the second set before Del Potro, who improved his record against the Croatian to 9-2 in all competitions, started his comeback with a passing shot between his legs.
He broke Cilic's serve in the ninth game of the fourth set and then held his own to draw level but fell behind again at the start of the fifth, handing the initiative back to the home crowd favourite.
Once again Del Potro showed nerves of steel and the heart of a lion as he broke straight back and forced the final twist to seal the contest in four hours 53 minutes, laying the path for Delbonis to finish the job.
"I think I played much better in the third (set), trying to play harder with my forehands, trying to move Marin from the baseline. I was fighting, I was there all the time, trying to take my chances, and, I had to wait until the third, fourth and fifth set to take it, but I was calm, I was positive all the time, and that was the key," Del Potro said.
"Overall, with the level of tennis, I'm quite pleased. I played a lot these three days and I gave everything on the court, I don't have anything to feel sorry (about)... Obviously, I feel a little disappointed, but I know that I gave everything that I had. It was just one of those days when you have to accept that luck was a little bit on the other side," said Cilic.
Delbonis finished the final superbly, holding serve throughout his one-sided contest with Karlovic as he kept running the Croatian ragged with punishing baseline shots.
The Argentinian team saluted their fans who created a fantastic atmosphere in the Zagreb Arena.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.