- Title: Russia's Putin meets new UN chief
- Date: 24th November 2016
- Summary: MOSCOW, RUSSIA (NOVEMBER 24, 2016) (AGENCY POOL) RUSSIAN PRESIDENT, VLADIMIR PUTIN, ENTERING HALL, MEETING NEWLY-ELECTED UN SECRETARY-GENERAL, ANTONIO GUTERRES, SHAKING HANDS, POSING FOR PICTURE PHOTOGRAPHERS PUTIN AND GUTERRES TAKING SEATS (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) RUSSIAN PRESIDENT, VLADIMIR PUTIN, SAYING: "I would like to take an opportunity and personally congratulate you with election on a post of big responsibility, U.N. Secretary-General." GUTERRES LISTENING (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) RUSSIAN PRESIDENT, VLADIMIR PUTIN, SAYING: "Being one of the countries that founded the U.N., Russia has always been standing for strengthening its (U.N.) key role in foreign affairs and continues to do so." MEETING IN PROGRESS (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) RUSSIAN PRESIDENT, VLADIMIR PUTIN, SAYING: "We were in constant contact with your predecessor who is to hand over his duties in January. We expect the same constructive dialogue will be formed between us." CAMERAS (SOUNDBITE) (English) NEWLY-ELECTED UN SECRETARY-GENERAL, ANTONIO GUTERRES, SAYING: "I fully recognize the decisive role of the Russian Federation not only in U.N. but in all aspects of international relations." PUTIN LISTENING (SOUNDBITE) (English) NEWLY-ELECTED UN SECRETARY-GENERAL, ANTONIO GUTERRES, SAYING: "And I would say that an absolutely fundamental condition for me to be able to be useful to the international community is to be able to have a very constructive and positive dialogue and relationship with Russian Federation." TALKS IN PROGRESS KREMLIN TOWER KREMLIN
- Embargoed: 9th December 2016 15:47
- Keywords: Russia UN Vladimir Putin Antonio Guterres UN Secretary-General
- Location: MOSCOW, RUSSIA
- City: MOSCOW, RUSSIA
- Country: Russia
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA00159T1GSN
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Russian President Vladimir Putin met with newly-elected United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres in Kremlin on Thursday (November 24) and congratulated him on his appointment to a "post of big responsibility."
Putin said he expects to form a constructive dialogue with Guterres who takes office in January.
The new U.N. chief said that "a very constructive and positive dialogue and relationship with Russia" is very important to him.
Former Portuguese Prime Minister, Guterres, was elected to be the ninth United Nations Secretary-General. He will replace Ban Ki-moon, of South Korea, who will step down at the end of 2016 after serving two terms.
- Copyright Holder: POOL (CAN SELL)
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None