- Title: Syrian army tanks advance on Douma
- Date: 23rd November 2016
- Summary: NEAR DOUMA, DAMASCUS PROVINCE (NOVEMBER 23, 2016) (VIDEO OBTAINED BY REUTERS) SMOKE RISING FROM LOCATIONS TARGETED BY SYRIAN GOVERNMENT FORCES SYRIAN GOVERNMENT TANKS NEAR DOUMA SMOKE RISING FROM AREA NEAR DOUMA / AUDIO OF GUNFIRE TANK IN STREET ARMOURED VEHICLE DRIVING DOWN A STREET / AUDIO OF GUNFIRE TANK DRIVING THROUGH TOWN SYRIAN GOVERNMENT SOLDIERS WALKING THROUGH THE AREA SOLDIER HOLDING WEAPON SMOKE RISING FROM TARGETED LOCATIONS SOLDIERS GETTING ON A TANK TANK FIRING SMOKE RISING FROM TARGETED LOCATIONS / AUDIO OF GUNFIRE WEAPONS AND AMMUNITION USED BY THE SOLDIERS / AUDIO OF GUNFIRE TANK DRIVING THROUGH VARIOUS OF TANKS IN THE STREETS EMPTY STREET WITH DAMAGED BUILDINGS
- Embargoed: 8th December 2016 16:04
- Keywords: Douma fighting attacks government forces tanks rebel-held outskirts advance
- Location: NEAR DOUMA, DAMASCUS PROVINCE, SYRIA
- City: NEAR DOUMA, DAMASCUS PROVINCE, SYRIA
- Country: Syria
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Military Conflicts
- Reuters ID: LVA00159O1GZR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Syrian government forces advanced towards the rebel-held city of Douma near Damascus on Wednesday (November 23).
The forces targeted the outskirts of the city with tanks and other weapons, as they attempt to recapture the area from the rebel forces, video obtained by Reuters showed.
Tanks and gunfire strafed the area and video showed smoke rising and significant damage to buildings.
Douma lies in a small rebel-held enclave to the northeast of Damascus, surrounding the Syrian government forces and their allies.
The civil war pits President Bashar al-Assad backed by Russia's air force, Iran and Shi'ite militias against mostly Sunni rebels including groups supported by the United States, Turkey and Gulf monarchies.
More than 14,500 civilians have been killed in air raids carried out by Syrian and latterly, Russian warplanes, since November 2014, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said this month.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None