- Title: Berlin's Gendarmen Christmas market opens
- Date: 21st November 2016
- Summary: BERLIN, GERMANY (NOVEMBER 21, 2016) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF ENTRANCE TO GENDARMENMARKT CHRISTMAS MARKET CHURCH TO MARKET CHRISTMAS TREE DECORATIONS ON STALL WOMAN LOOKING AT DISPLAY CHURCH WITH CONCERT HALL AND MARKET ROOFS VARIOUS OF MELTED CHEESE BEING PUT ON TOAST VARIOUS OF GIANT NUTCRACKER CHARACTER ON STILTS WALKING PAST VARIOUS OF CROWDS MILLING THROUGH MARKET VARIOUS OF MAN PREPARING ROAST CHESTNUTS COUNTDOWN TO TREE LIGHTS BEING LIT PEOPLE CLAPPING (SOUNDBITE) (German) WIFE OF MAN WHO DONATED THE TREE, GABI GOERING, SAYING: "The man is from Wansee from the anglers club of my husband. We were really pleased to be able to donate it and it looks wonderful. You can't say anything else, with all these thousands of lights. Very nice!" PEOPLE AT MULLED WINE STALL MAN CARRYING MULLED WINE MUGS ROAST NUT STALL (SOUNDBITE) (German) CHRISTMAS MARKET VISITOR, MIRIAM FISCHER, SAYING: "It is beautifully decorated. There is such a special flair with these wooden huts and the tents and being between the two churches. It is always something special." VARIOUS OF APPLE PUNCH BEING SERVED STALL WITH VARIOUS BAUBLES FOR SALE VARIOUS OF BAUBLES STALL SELLING GINGERBREAD HEARTS (SOUNDBITE) (German) MAN WHO DONATED CHRISTMAS TREE, JOCHEN GOERING, SAYING: "I already have my fairytale! I have my wife and that is my fairytale! But I like Christmas for its own sake." BAUBLES HANGING ON STALL VARIOUS OF PEOPLE AT GLUWEIN (MULLED WINE) STAND VARIOUS OF CHAMPAGNE STAND CLOSE OF CANDLES PEOPLE AT STALL STAGE IN FRONT OF CONCERT HOUSE DISCO BALL OVER STAGE ENTRANCE TO GENDARMENMARKT CHRISTMAS MARKET
- Embargoed: 6th December 2016 20:11
- Keywords: gendarmenmarkt Christmas market Berlin
- Location: BERLIN, GERMANY
- City: BERLIN, GERMANY
- Country: Germany
- Topics: Arts/Culture/Entertainment
- Reuters ID: LVA00159E2XJT
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The autumn leaves may still be on the ground but Berlin has thrown open the doors of one of its most attractive Christmas markets to get people into the festive spirit early.
Centrally located in a Berlin square book-ended by the French and German cathedrals, the already very picturesque Gendarmenmarkt brings a special magic to the city every year when the Christmas tree lights are lit, champagne corks are popped and the smell of mulled wine and roasting chestnuts permeates the air.
Well-known for its many and good-quality food stalls the market also offers a variety of home-made trinkets and old-fashioned wooden Christmas decorations.
The stage set up under the concert house and happily located near the mulled wine stall offers a full programme of events until closing on December 31.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None