- Title: FILE-PSG 'stunned' after Aurier is denied UK visa
- Date: 22nd November 2016
- Summary: KINSHASA, DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF CONGO (FILE - OCTOBER 10, 2014) (REUTERS) PARIS SAINT-GERMAN DEFENDER, SERGE AURIER TRAINING WITH IVORY COAST ABIDJAN, IVORY COAST (FILE - NOVEMBER 11, 2015) (REUTERS) AURIER PUTTING ON SHIRT DURING TRAINING SESSION SAINT GERMAIN EN LAYE, FRANCE (FILE - AUGUST 15, 2015) (REUTERS) PSG DEFENDER SERGE AURIER SPEAKING AT NEWS CONFERENCE SAINT-GERMAIN-EN-LAYE, FRANCE (FILE - APRIL 5, 2016) (REUTERS) AURIER TRAINING WITH PSG TEAM MATES PARIS, FRANCE (FILE - MAY 30, 2016) (REUTERS) STREET WHERE ALTERCATION BETWEEN SERGE AURIER AND POLICE TOOK PLACE STREET SIGN RUE DE PONTHIEU NEAR THE CHAMPS ELYSEES VARIOUS OF CLUB ON STREET NEAR THE CHAMPS ELYSEES POLICE STATION IN PARIS'S EIGHTH ARRONDISSEMENT POLICE CAR IN FRONT OF STATION SIGN THAT READS (French): "8TH ARRONDISSEMENT CENTRAL POLICE STATION AT YOUR SERVICE 24H/ 24" FLAGS OF FRANCE AND EUROPEAN UNION POLICE CARS IN FRONT OF STATION POLICEMAN INSIDE KIOSK SPEAKING WITH A MAN
- Embargoed: 7th December 2016 16:43
- Keywords: Paris Saint Germain Arsenal Champions League visa Serge Aurier entry ban
- Location: KINSHASA, DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF CONGO / ABIDJAN, IVORY COAST / SAINT-GERMAIN-EN-LAYE, FRANCE / PARIS, FRANCE / INTERNET
- City: KINSHASA, DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF CONGO / ABIDJAN, IVORY COAST / SAINT-GERMAIN-EN-LAYE, FRANCE / PARIS, FRANCE / INTERNET
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Soccer,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA00159J2M9R
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Paris St. Germain were left "stunned" on Tuesday (November 22) at a decision by British authorities to revoke the visa of their defender Serge Aurier, preventing him from playing in a Champions League match at Arsenal.
The Ivorian will miss Wednesday's (November 23) Group A game and PSG officials are furious that the decision to deny the 23-year-old a visa over a conviction for assault - a ruling the player is appealing against - was only relayed to them by British government officials on Tuesday afternoon.
"Due to a sudden about-face by the British authorities, Serge Aurier has not been allowed to travel with Unai Emery's squad for the clash away to Arsenal," PSG said on their website (www.psg.fr).
"Paris Saint-Germain is stunned by this incomprehensible situation that attacks the very integrity of the UEFA Champions League," the French champions added.
"Paris Saint-Germain strongly regrets that the presumption of innocence has not influenced Britain's decision."
Aurier was arrested in May and found guilty in September of assaulting a police officer outside a Paris nightclub after being stopped for a breath test.
The Ivory Coast international, who denied the charge, was handed a two-month jail sentence but is appealing against the verdict.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None