- Title: Israeli forces kill Palestinian who tries to stab guard-police
- Date: 22nd November 2016
- Summary: QALANDIYA CHECKPOINT, WEST BANK (NOVEMBER 22, 2016) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF MEDICS AND ISRAELI SECURITY FORCES AT SCENE, ATTENDING TO BODY OF PALESTINIAN WHO ACCORDING TO POLICE WAS KILLED AFTER TRYING TO STAB SECURITY GUARD CHECKPOINT GATES ISRAELI POLICE VEHICLE AT CHECKPOINT ISRAELI SECURITY FORCES AT SCENE SOLDIER HOLDING GUN VARIOUS OF SOLDIERS AT CHECKPOINT PEOPLE AND VEHICLES AT CHECKPOINT
- Embargoed: 7th December 2016 10:02
- Keywords: Israel Palestinians killed checkpoint West Bank
- Location: QALANDIYA CHECKPOINT, WEST BANK
- City: QALANDIYA CHECKPOINT, WEST BANK
- Country: Palestinian Territories
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA00159J0C3R
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: An Israeli security guard shot and killed a Palestinian who tried to stab him at a busy checkpoint in the occupied West Bank on Tuesday (November 22), the Israeli police said.
Police spokeswoman Luba Samri said the Palestinian approached the guard on foot at the Qalandiya checkpoint and tried to stab him after being asked to show identification. The Palestinian Health Ministry confirmed the assailant was dead.
At least 228 Palestinians have been killed in violence in the occupied West Bank and the Gaza Strip since October 2015. Israel says at least 154 of them were assailants. Others died during clashes and protests.
Palestinians, many of them acting alone and with rudimentary weapons including kitchen knives, have killed at least 33 Israelis and two visiting Americans over the same period.
Israel says one of the main causes of the violence is incitement by the Palestinian leadership, with young men encouraged to attack Israeli soldiers and civilians.
Palestinians accused Israeli police and soldiers of using excessive force in many cases, saying many assailants could have been stopped or detained without being killed. In several cases, Israel has opened investigations.
Families say assailants are acting out of desperation, frustrated by the lack of progress towards peace and Israel's continued building of settlements in the West Bank and East Jerusalem, which the Palestinians want for their own state.
Israel has occupied the West Bank and East Jerusalem for nearly 50 years, since the 1967 Middle East war, and maintains tight restrictions on the movement of Palestinians in some areas, especially checkpoints that border Israel.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None