- Title: French foiled planned attack with new arrests, interior minister says
- Date: 21st November 2016
- Summary: STRASBOURG, FRANCE (FILE) (REUTERS) PEOPLE RUNNING ON STREET PEOPLE WALKING ON STREET OF SHOPS TRAM PASSING MARSEILLE, FRANCE (FILE) (REUTERS) ROOFTOPS VARIOUS OF PEOPLE IN MARKET
- Embargoed: 6th December 2016 11:35
- Keywords: Bernard Cazeneuve arrest security
- Location: PARIS/ STRASBOURG/ MARSEILLE, FRANCE
- City: PARIS/ STRASBOURG/ MARSEILLE, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,International/National Security
- Reuters ID: LVA00259E14QV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: French police arrested several men over the weekend and foiled a planned militant attack, Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve said on Monday (November 21).
Seven people of French, Moroccan and Afghan origin and aged from 29 to 37 years, were arrested in all, two in Marseille and most of the others in the eastern city of Strasbourg, he said.
"The result of the work of by the DGSI enabled us to halt a terrorist action, planned for a long time on our soil. It is therefore another foiled attack," Cazeneuve said.
He gave no information on the target of the planned attack. But a source close to the inquiry told Reuters that Strasbourg had not been targeted.
The mayor of Strasbourg said it appeared that the plot had focused on "the Paris region".
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None