- Title: French foiled planned attack with new arrests, interior minister says
- Date: 21st November 2016
- Summary: PARIS, FRANCE (NOVEMBER 21, 2016) (REUTERS) ***WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** EXTERIOR OF INTERIOR MINISTRY FRENCH FLAG FRENCH INTERIOR MINISTER, BERNARD CAZENEUVE, APPROACHING PODIUM CAZENEUVE SPEAKING (SOUNDBITE) (French) FRENCH INTERIOR MINISTER, BERNARD CAZENEUVE, SAYING: "An anti-terrorist operation led by the General Directorate for Internal Security (DGSI - intelligence services) under the authority of the judiciary took place overnight between Saturday and Sunday in Marseille and Strasbourg. It led to the arrest of seven people, aged between 29 and 37, of French, Moroccan and Afghan nationalities." CAMERAMAN FILMING (SOUNDBITE) (French) FRENCH INTERIOR MINISTER, BERNARD CAZENEUVE, SAYING: "The result of the work of by the DGSI enabled us to halt a terrorist action, planned for a long time on our soil. It is therefore another foiled attack." CAZENEUVE SPEAKING CAZENEUVE WALKING AWAY FROM PODIUM
- Embargoed: 6th December 2016 11:35
- Keywords: Bernard Cazeneuve arrest security
- Location: PARIS/ STRASBOURG/ MARSEILLE, FRANCE
- City: PARIS/ STRASBOURG/ MARSEILLE, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,International/National Security
- Reuters ID: LVA00159E14QV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: French police arrested several men over the weekend and foiled a planned militant attack, Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve said on Monday (November 21).
Seven people of French, Moroccan and Afghan origin and aged from 29 to 37 years, were arrested in all, two in Marseille and most of the others in the eastern city of Strasbourg, he said.
"The result of the work of by the DGSI enabled us to halt a terrorist action, planned for a long time on our soil. It is therefore another foiled attack," Cazeneuve said.
He gave no information on the target of the planned attack. But a source close to the inquiry told Reuters that Strasbourg had not been targeted.
The mayor of Strasbourg said it appeared that the plot had focused on "the Paris region".
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None