- Title: Aleppo self-rule rejected, de Mistura leaves Damascus
- Date: 21st November 2016
- Summary: DAMASCUS, SYRIA (NOVEMBER 21, 2016) (REUTERS) EXTERIOR OF HOTEL FOUNTAIN OUTSIDE HOTEL VARIOUS OF UN VEHICLES OUTSIDE HOTEL UN SPECIAL ENVOY TO SYRIA STAFFAN DE MISTURA WALKING OUT OF HOTEL, SAYING (English): "Good morning, we will back soon, thank you." DE MISTURA GETTING IN CAR / CAR DRIVES OFF VARIOUS OF MISTURA CONVOY LEAVING HOTEL EXTERIOR OF HOTEL
- Embargoed: 6th December 2016 10:32
- Keywords: Syria U.N. Stephan De Mistura Aleppo
- Location: DAMASCUS, SYRIA
- City: DAMASCUS, SYRIA
- Country: Syria
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA00159E0MKN
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:U.N. Special Envoy to Syria, Staffan De Mistura, left Damascus on Monday (November 21) after Syrian Government rejected Aleppo self-rule plan.
In a meeting with Syrian Foreign Minister Walid al-Moualem on Sunday (November 20) De Mistura proposed that Damascus should recognise the local administration in the rebel-held east Aleppo when jihadist fighters leave the city.
Moualem earlier on Sunday ruled the plan out, saying it was a "violation of our sovereignty", but De Mistura said that while he recognised the Syrian government's need to maintain sovereignty he believed such measures could be temporary and that Aleppo should be treated as a special case.
De Mistura, proposed to send a U.N. verification team to Aleppo to assess the damage in hospitals in eastern and western Aleppo on Sunday (November 20).
His comments came after a meeting with Moualem, but the De Mistura did not say he had raised the suggestion during the talks.
Hundreds of people have been killed since Tuesday (November 15) as the government and its allies attempt to quash resistance in Aleppo's rebel-held eastern zone.
The plight of civilians in eastern Aleppo was underscored on Saturday (November 19) when the World Health Organisation reported that bombing had put all the hospitals in the besieged district out of operation. An official with a rebel group based in east Aleppo said there were still no working hospitals there on Sunday (November 20).
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None