- Title: Erdogan calls on NATO to support his fight against militants
- Date: 21st November 2016
- Summary: ISTANBUL, TURKEY (NOVEMBER 21, 2016) (REUTERS) ERDOGAN SHAKING HANDS WITH OFFICIALS
- Embargoed: 6th December 2016 08:04
- Keywords: Turkey NATO Tayyip Erdogan
- Location: ISTANBUL, TURKEY
- City: ISTANBUL, TURKEY
- Country: Turkey
- Topics: NATO,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA00259DZUX3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Erdogan said on Monday (November 21) that Turkey needed the support of the world in the fight against terror, accusing other countries of being ambivalent concerning such groups and accusing the European Union of allowing the PKK free rein in EU countries, despite declaring it a terrorist group.
He said this would one day come back to them "like a boomerang".
"Turkey is really like a barrier between terror groups and the rest of the world, notably Europe. If we are unsuccessful in this fight, that is if this barrier is destroyed, the terrorists will spread fire and blood across the whole world just like a flood," Erdogan said in a speech at a NATO conference in Istanbul.
Erdogan was speaking at the closing session of NATO Parliamentary Assembly session held in Istanbul over the weekend.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None