- Title: Obama presents his final Medal of Freedom at star-studded event
- Date: 23rd November 2016
- Summary: WASHINGTON, D.C., UNITED STATES (NOVEMBER 22, 2016) (REUTERS) BASKETBALL LEGEND KAREEM ABDUL-JABAR VARIOUS OF ABDUL-JABAR RECEIVING MEDAL OF FREEDOM FROM U.S. PRESIDENT BARACK OBAMA ACTRESS ELLEN DEGENERES VARIOUS OF DEGENERES RECEIVING MEDAL OF FREEDOM VARIOUS OF DEBORAH MURRAY GREAT NIECE OF GRACE MURRAY HOPPER VARIOUS OF BASKETBALL LEGEND MICHAEL JORDAN VARIOUS OF JORDAN RECEIVING MEDAL OF FREEDOM VARIOUS OF ACTOR AND FILM DIRECTOR ROBERT REDFORD VARIOUS OF REDFORD RECEIVING MEDAL OF FREEDOM VARIOUS SINGER AND ACTRESS DIANA ROSS RECEIVING MEDAL OF FREEDOM VARIOUS OF BASEBALL COMMENTATOR VIN SCULLY RECEIVING MEDAL OF FREEDOM SINGER AND SONG WRITER BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN AT CEREMONY VARIOUS OF SPRINGSTEEN RECEIVING MEDAL OF FREEDOM VARIOUS OF ACTRESS CICELY TYSON AT CEREMONY TYSON RECEIVING MEDAL OF FREEDOM BILL AND MALINDA GATES AT CEREMONY VARIOUS OF GATES RECEIVING MEDAL OF FREEDOM VARIOUS OF ACTOR ROBERT DE NIRO AT CEREMONY VARIOUS OF DI NIRO RECEIVING MEDAL OF FREEDOM VARIOUS OF NEWTON MINOW, ATTORNEY AND FORMER CHAIR OF THE FEDERAL COMMUNICATIONS COMMISSION RECEIVING MEDAL OF FREEDOM VARIOUS OF PRODUCER AND COMEDIAN LORNE MICHAELS RECEIVING MEDAL OF FREEDOM VARIOUS OF RICHARD GARWIN, PHYSICIST, RECEIVING MEDAL OF FREEDOM VARIOUS OF FRANK GEHRY, CANADIAN-BORN AMERICAN ARCHITECT RECEIVING MEDAL OF FREEDOM VARIOUS OF MARGARET HAMILTON, COMPUTER SCIENTIST, RECEIVING MEDAL OF FREEDOM VARIOUS OF HOLLYWOOD ACTOR TOM HANKS AT CEREMONY VARIOUS OF HANKS RECEIVING MEDAL OF FREEDOM VARIOUS OF DESIGNER AND ARTIST MAYA LIN RECEIVING MEDAL OF FREEDOM VARIOUS OF MIAMI DADE COLLEGE PRESIDENT EDUARDO PADRON RECEIVING MEDAL OF FREEDOM CEREMONY ENDING
- Embargoed: 8th December 2016 00:22
- Keywords: Medal of Freedom Tom Hanks Michael Jordan Robert Redford Diana Ross Bruce Springsteen Ellen DeGeneres Robert De Niro Bill and Melinda Gates
- Location: WASHINGTON, DC, UNITED STATES
- City: WASHINGTON, DC, UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Topics: Celebrities,Arts/Culture/Entertainment
- Reuters ID: LVA00159J3L1J
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: In one of his final acts in office, President Barack Obama on Tuesday (November 22) selected key figures in sports, entrepreneurship, philanthropy, activism, academia, entertainment and the arts among the 21 people awarded the 2016 Presidential Medal of Freedom - the highest civilian honor in the United States.
In a star-studded ceremony in the East Room of the White House, Obama presented recipients including rocker Bruce Springsteen, Motown soul singer Diana Ross, former basketball champions Michael Jordan and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and actors Tom Hanks, Robert De Niro and Robert Redford with the prestigious medal.
"These are folks who have helped make me who I am and think about my presidency and what also makes it special is - this is America and it's useful when you think about this incredible collection of people to realize that this is what makes us the greatest nation on earth, not because of what our differences, but because in our difference we find something common to share," Obama said.
The medal is given annually to people who have made outstanding contributions to the security or national interests of the United States, to world peace, or to cultural or other significant public or private endeavors.
This year's roster also included Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates and his wife Melinda for their philanthropic foundation, TV talk show host Ellen DeGeneres, veteran actress Cicely Tyson, architect Frank Gehry and baseball broadcaster Vin Scully.
The group also includes several not so well-known Americans, such as late Native American community leader Elouise Cobell and NASA moon landing computer scientist Margaret H. Hamilton.
Obama leaves office in January after eight years, following the election of Republican businessman Donald Trump.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None