- Title: Eight children killed in Syrian rebel shelling on western Aleppo school
- Date: 20th November 2016
- Summary: INJURED MAN LYING ON BED BEING TENDED TO BY MEDICS
- Embargoed: 5th December 2016 16:53
- Keywords: Aleppo Syria school shelling government rebel
- Location: WESTERN ALEPPO, SYRIA
- City: WESTERN ALEPPO, SYRIA
- Country: Syria
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Military Conflicts
- Reuters ID: LVA002598ZO07
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: THIS EDIT CONTAINS MATERIAL WHICH WAS ORIGINALLY 4:3
At least eight children were killed at a school in government-held western Aleppo in shelling from rebel forces on Sunday (November 20), Syrian state television and the UK-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights reported.
The children were aged from six to 12 years among at least 10 deaths in the Saria Hasoun school in al-Farqan district, the monitor and state television said. Injured children and adults were taken to a nearby hospital for treatment.
Air strikes continued to hit several districts of eastern Aleppo early on Sunday, the Observatory said, after at least 54 people were killed in bombing on Saturday (November 19).
A barrel bomb killed a family of six in the rebel-held part of the city on Sunday after heavy government bombardment which has knocked out all the hospitals.
An official with a rebel group based in east Aleppo said there were still no working hospitals there on Sunday, a day after the World Health Organisation reported that bombing had put them all out of action.
The monitor said around 240 people have been killed so far in bombing in eastern Aleppo and the rebel-held countryside to the west of the city since Tuesday (November 15), when a two-week cessation in bombardment from the Syrian government and Russia's air force came to an end.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None