- Title: U.N. envoy de Mistura arrives in Damascus for talks with Syrian FM
- Date: 20th November 2016
- Summary: DAMASCUS, SYRIA (NOVEMBER 20, 2016) (REUTERS) EXTERIOR OF FOUR SEASONS HOTEL VARIOUS OF U.N. VEHICLES ARRIVING VARIOUS OF U.N. SPECIAL ENVOY TO SYRIA, STAFFAN DE MISTURA, GETTING OUT OF CAR, TALKING TO JOURNALISTS, GOING INTO HOTEL VARIOUS OF U.N. VEHICLES OUTSIDE HOTEL DE MISTURA COMING BACK OUT OF HOTEL AND GETTING INTO CAR VARIOUS OF U.N. CONVOY LEAVING
- Embargoed: 5th December 2016 09:37
- Keywords: Syria crisis Staffan de Mistura United Nations special envoy Damascus
- Location: DAMASCUS, SYRIA
- City: DAMASCUS, SYRIA
- Country: Syria
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Military Conflicts
- Reuters ID: LVA001598Z13B
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:United Nations Special Envoy to Syria, Staffan de Mistura, arrived in Damascus on Sunday (November 20) ahead of an expected meeting with Syrian Foreign Minister, Walid al-Moalem.
De Mistura is likely to "push on Aleppo, perhaps on a ceasefire", according to one diplomat, who added that the "political file there won't be anything" until U.N. Secretary General Ban Ki-Moon is officially replaced by Antonio Guterres.
The United States on Saturday (November 19) condemned air strikes on hospitals in Syria's eastern Aleppo, and it called on Russia to take steps to contain the violence.
Russia unilaterally called a ceasefire in late October and said on Saturday that it was now only striking against groups that were not also observing it.
Rebel groups in Aleppo have all said they do not recognise the Russian ceasefire.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None