- Title: Time-lapse shows massive protest against South Korean president
- Date: 19th November 2016
- Summary: SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA (NOVEMBER 19, 2016) (REUTERS) (MUTE) TIME-LAPSE OF PROTEST DEMANDING SOUTH KOREAN PRESIDENT PARK GEUN-HYE'S RESIGNATION
- Embargoed: 4th December 2016 13:21
- Keywords: Seoul South korea president protest time-lapse Park Geun-hye
- Location: SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA
- City: SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA
- Country: South Korea
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA00159404SN
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Hundreds of thousands of demonstrators took to the streets of Seoul on Saturday (November 19) in the fourth straight weekend of protests against embattled President Park Geun-hye.
Park is resisting calls to step down amid an ongoing political crisis in which she is alleged to have let an old friend meddle in state affairs.
The scandal has rocked Park's presidency and united Koreans in disapproval, culminating in a protest last weekend that saw 1 million people march on Seoul by some estimates.
Saturday's protest was smaller as protest groups also organised demonstrations in regional capitals. Police said at least 155,000 people had packed into a central Seoul square early on Saturday evening for a candle-lit rally. Organisers said the number was 500,000.
Park has pledged to cooperate in an investigation into the scandal. Prosecutors are expected to bring indictments against Choi Soon-sil, Park's friend at the centre of the crisis, and two former presidential aides on Sunday (November 20).
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None