- Title: Ten year refurbishment of Buckingham Palace gets government approval
- Date: 19th November 2016
- Summary: LONDON, ENGLAND, UK (FILE - JULY 24, 2015) (REUTERS) VARIOUS BUCKINGHAM PALACE SURROUNDED BY TOURISTS TOURISTS HOLDING UNION JACK UMBRELLAS GRAND STAIRCASE WHERE VISITORS ENTER INSIDE BUCKINGHAM PALACE PAN FROM CEILING TO DINING TABLE IN BALLROOM ROYAL COAT OF ARMS HANGING ON WALL PAN FROM CEILING TO TABLES OF GIFTS RECEIVED BY QUEEN FROM HEADS OF STATE
- Embargoed: 4th December 2016 10:32
- Keywords: Buckingham Palace costs refurbishment Queen Elizabeth London UK British Royals
- Location: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- City: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Arts/Culture/Entertainment,Royals
- Reuters ID: LVA004593XYKN
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Buckingham Palace, one of Britain's best known landmarks and home to Queen Elizabeth, will undergo a decade-long overhaul costing 369 million pounds ($457 million) after the government approved on Friday (November 18) what it said were urgently needed funds.
The work will focus on replacing electrical wiring, water pipes and the heating system which were installed after World War Two.
The renovation will be funded by a temporary increase in the Sovereign Grant, the government financial mechanism that covers the running costs of Queen Elizabeth's household.
The most critical work will begin in April 2017 and the palace will remain occupied and fully operational while the renovation is carried out, the royal press office said.
Millions of tourists flock to see the palace each year, especially to see the traditional Changing of the Guard and Summer Opening ceremonies.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None