- Title: British diver dies at Great Barrier Reef
- Date: 19th November 2016
- Summary: AT SEA (FILE) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF DIVERS AT GREAT BARRIER REEF
- Embargoed: 4th December 2016 05:27
- Keywords: Great Barrier Reef death tourist
- Location: PORT DOUGLAS, AUSTRALIA / AT SEA
- City: PORT DOUGLAS, AUSTRALIA / AT SEA
- Country: Australia
- Reuters ID: LVA00259401MV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: A British tourist died while diving in far north Queensland on Friday (November 18), the third death on Australia's Great Barrier Reef in the space of a week.
The 60-year-old man, a certified diver, could not be revived after being found on the sea bed while scuba diving at Agincourt Reef off Port Douglas, local media reported.
'It's a tragedy for the person that's died and his family but also for the crew that are looking at it and going what more could they have done. It should be stressed that this guy was a qualified diver diving in a fantastic location, relatively safe location so we don't know what's caused the incident," Executive Director of Marine Park Tourism Operations, Col McKenzie told reporters on Friday.
According to local media, investigations into the cause of death are ongoing.
The incident comes after two French tourists in their 70s died following heart attacks on Wednesday (November 17) while snorkeling at Michaelmas Cay, around 40 km. (25 miles) northeast of Cairns, ABC reported.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None