- Title: Petrobras could get back 5.5 billion reais in corruption probe - CEO
- Date: 18th November 2016
- Summary: RIO DE JANEIRO, BRAZIL (FILE) (REUTERS) EXTERIOR OF PETROBRAS BUILDING PETROBRAS LOGO
- Embargoed: 3rd December 2016 20:21
- Keywords: Petrobras CEO corruption probe
- Location: RIO DE JANEIRO AND CURITIBA, BRAZIL
- City: RIO DE JANEIRO AND CURITIBA, BRAZIL
- Country: USA
- Topics: Government/Politics,Elections/Voting
- Reuters ID: LVA00258Z3O77
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Brazilian state-controlled oil company Petroleo Brasileiro SA could receive up to 5.5 billion reais ($1.6 billion) back as a result of an ongoing corruption probe, Chief Executive Officer Pedro Parente said on Friday (November 18).
Speaking at a news conference in Curitiba, he estimated Petrobras lost roughly 6 billion reais due to a kickback scheme involving major politicians and executives.
"Petrobras [Petroleo Brasileiro SA] was the victim of a corruption scandal. The company has not benefited from any unlawful acts uncovered by operation 'Car Wash' and the public and judiciary ministry acknowledge this. The company was harmed both financially and morally by unlawful acts committed by a dishonest and criminal minority," Parente said.
The company got 204 million reais back on Friday, adding to more than 500 million reais it had already received.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None