- Title: Ukraine marks third anniversary since Maidan uprising
- Date: 21st November 2016
- Summary: PEOPLE IN FRONT OF MEMORIAL CROWD AT INDEPENDENCE SQUARE PEOPLE HOLDING UKRAINIAN FLAGS (SOUNDBITE) (Ukrainian) KIEV RESIDENT, TAMARA ABOLMASOVA, SAYING: "It's an important event for our people. Maidan protests showed how people can gather together and stand for their rights. The scary thing is that this fight ended with the blood for the mothers who lost their boys." PEOPLE HOLDING LONG UKRAINIAN FLAG
- Embargoed: 6th December 2016 16:16
- Keywords: Ukraine Maidan uprising anniversary march Kiev protest Azov
- Location: KIEV, UKRAINE
- City: KIEV, UKRAINE
- Country: Ukraine
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA00559DZU49
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Hundreds of Azov movement members marched through central Kiev towards the presidential administration on Monday (November 21) as Ukraine commemorated the day of dignity and freedom - an official title for the day when Maidan revolt started in November 2013.
Masked marchers waved Ukrainian flags and had posters with questions to the president Petro Poroshenko. Demonstrators were dissatisfied with the lack of changes since Poroshenko came to power after his predecessor Kremlin-backed Viktor Yanukovich was toppled and fled the country for Russia.
The Maidan movement, which took its name from the central Kiev square where demonstrators gathered, was a response to Yanukovich's rejecting a trade agreement with the European Union.
In February 2014, more than 100 protesters were gunned down. The victims are now known as "Heavenly Hundred."
On the third anniversary, people lit candles and laid flowers to the memorial in honour of "Heavenly Hundred."
"People are coming here with flowers to pay their respect to the memory of the falling heroes of the revolution of dignity, we call them the celestial hundred. They were the best people of this country, the bravest people of their country. And the best way to keep memory of them is to do everything we can in our working place, to fulfil their dream about free, independent and prosperous Ukraine," Kiev resident Olga said.
Afterwards, dozens of Ukrainians gathered at the Independence Square as they used to do during uprising back in 2013-2014.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None