- Title: Cyprus leaders to resume peace talks
- Date: 18th November 2016
- Summary: MONT PELERIN, SWITZERLAND (RECENT - NOVEMBER 7, 2016) (REUTERS) VIEW OVER CITY OF VEVEY EXTERIOR OF HOTEL LE MIRADOR WHERE TALKS ARE TAKING PLACE
- Embargoed: 3rd December 2016 15:09
- Keywords: Cyprus Turkey Greece United Nations buffer zone division invasion talks Geneva Ban Ki Moon
- Location: MONT PELERIN, SWITZERLAND / NICOSIA AND FAMAGUSTA AND VARIOUS, CYPRUS
- City: MONT PELERIN, SWITZERLAND / NICOSIA AND FAMAGUSTA AND VARIOUS, CYPRUS
- Country: Cyprus
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA00158Z2RT3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: THIS EDIT CONTAINS MATERIAL WHICH WAS ORIGINALLY 4:3
EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: THIS EDIT CONTAINS A WHITE FLASH TO SEPARATE SHOTS / PART AUDIO QUALITY AS INCOMING
Leaders of ethnically-divided Cyprus are due to resume peace talks in Switzerland on Sunday (November 20) to discuss territorial issues, in the latest attempt at ending one of Europe's most enduring conflicts.
The United Nations said talks achieved significant progress following the first negotiations that took place in the Swiss resort of Mont Pelerin that started on November 7.
U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon opened the round of talks between Greek Cypriot President Nicos Anastasiades and his Turkish Cypriot counterpart Mustafa Akinci, which lasted five days.
Cyprus's 800,000 Greek Cypriots and approximately 220,000 Turkish Cypriots live on the divided island with a U.N.-patrolled ceasefire line splitting the island east to west. The island was split in a Turkish invasion in 1974 triggered by a brief Greek-inspired coup.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None