- Title: INDONESIA: Ceremony marks fourth anniversary of Bali bombings
- Date: 12th October 2006
- Summary: (W1) BALI, INDONESIA (OCTOBER 12, 2006) (REUTERS) VARIOUS SECURITY CHECKS AT VENUE VICTIMS' FAMILIES AND SURVIVORS ARRIVING, CARRYING FLOWERS AND HUGGING ONE ANOTHER
- Embargoed: 27th October 2006 13:00
- Location: Indonesia
- Country: Indonesia
- Topics: Obituaries
- Reuters ID: LVACCIPT6J2152XOCXHTQ9ENIT7H
- Story Text: commemorate the 2002 bombings on the holiday island of Bali, paying tribute to loved ones killed by the devastating blasts.
Islamic militants bombed two night-clubs four years ago, killing 202 people, mainly foreign holiday makers. Another simultaneous bombings took place again last year when three suicide bombers blew themselves up at three restaurant, killing 20 people.
The attack were among a series of deadly bombing attacks in recent years blamed on Islamic militants from the al Qaeda-linked Jemaah Islamiyah militant group.
" We will not allow terrorists to spread disorder and dismay, to drive neighbours apart to attack the aspirations of the Indonesians for a democratic and prosperous future. They have failed and they will not succeed," said Bill Farmer, Australia's Ambassador to Indonesia.
Dozens of Australian survivors, families of the victims and locals gathered to commemorate
Bali is a popular holiday destination for Australians. Four Australians were killed in the 2005 bombings, while 88 Australians were among those killed in 2002.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None