- Title: Greek protesters hurl petrol bombs at police on sidelines of anniversary march
- Date: 17th November 2016
- Summary: ATHENS, GREECE (NOVEMBER 17, 2016) (REUTERS) (NIGHT SHOTS) HOODED PROTESTERS THROWING ROUNDS OF PETROL BOMBS AT RIOT POLICE / PETROL BOMBS EXPLODING ON STREET NEXT TO POLICE / SMOKE RISING PROTESTERS WITH THEIR FACES COVERED AND WEARING TEARGAS MASKS THROWING STONES AT RIOT POLICE PETROL BOMB FLYING IN THE AIR AND EXPLODING ON STREET NEXT TO POLICE RIOT POLICE OFFICER / PETROL BOMB BURNING ON STREET PROTESTER HURLING PETROL BOMB AT POLICE / PETROL BOMB LANDING IN FRONT OF POLICE RIOT POLICE RIOT POLICE / PETROL BOMBS BURNING ON STREET PROTESTERS THROWING STONES AND OTHER PROJECTILES AT POLICE / PROTESTER HOLDING UNLIT PETROL BOMB PROTESTER THROWING PETROL BOMB AT POLICE/ MOLOTOV EXPLODING IN FRONT OF POLICE PROTESTER THROWING STONE AT POLICE / ANOTHER PROTESTER THROWS FLARE AT POLICE / CLOUD OF SMOKE RISING POLICE RUNNING TOWARDS PROTESTERS / PROTESTERS HURLING PETROL BOMB AND STONES AT POLICE/ POLICE RESPONDING WITH TEAR GAS AND STUN GRENADES / PROTESTERS THROWING FLARES / FLAMES AND SMOKE RISING FROM MOLOTOV AND FLARES PETROL BOMBS BEING HURLED AT POLICE / FIRE BURNING ON STREET AND CLOUD OF SMOKE RISING / POLICE FIRING ROUNDS OF TEARGAS POLICE RUNNING TOWARDS PROTESTERS / PROTESTERS THROWING MULTIPLE PETROL BOMBS, STONES AND OTHER PROJECTILES AT POLICE PROTESTERS HURLING PETROL BOMBS AND FLARES AT POLICE / CLOUD OF SMOKE RISING / POLICE RESPONDING WITH TEARGAS RIOT POLICE AND GROUP OF HOODED PROTESTERS PROTESTERS TRYING TO SET ON FIRE A GREEK FLAG POLICE RUNNING TOWARDS PROTESTERS / PROTESTERS RUNNING INSIDE POLYTECHNIC SCHOOL / POLICE FIRING TEARGAS AND STUN GRENADE / PROTESTERS THROWING PETROL BOMBS AT POLICE RIOT POLICE / PETROL BOMB FIRES BURNING ON STREET / CLOUDS OF SMOKE RISING
- Embargoed: 2nd December 2016 19:13
- Keywords: Greece austerity march anniversary police clashes petrol bombs teargas
- Location: ATHENS, GREECE
- City: ATHENS, GREECE
- Country: Greece
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Civil Unrest
- Reuters ID: LVA00158U44ZR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Clashes between Greek police and hooded protesters broke out in Athens on Thursday (November 17) on the sidelines of an anniversary march to commemorate the 43rd anniversary of a bloody student uprising that helped topple the military junta ruling the country between 1967 and 1974.
The clashes erupted in the streets near the Athens Polytechnic University, where dozens are believed to have been killed when tanks smashed its gates in 1973.
Several dozen hooded protesters threw petrol bombs, stones and other projectiles at riot police who responded with rounds of stun grenades and teargas to disperse them. The black-clad protesters lit rubbish bins on fire and engaged in a cat and mouse chase through the streets with officers.
The annual march often becomes a focal point for protests against government policies amid rising public anger at pension and wage cuts demanded by the European Union and International Monetary Fund in exchange for loans.
Since 2009, the debt crisis has shrunk Greece's economy by about a quarter, putting thousands of Greeks out of work and shutting down businesses.
Many Greeks blame governments since the fall of the junta of driving the country to near-bankruptcy.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None