- Title: LIBYA: U.S. embassy in Tripoli shows damage from May 1 assault
- Date: 13th September 2011
- Summary: TRIPOLI, LIBYA (SEPTEMBER 12, 2011) (REUTERS) ENTRANCE TO U.S. EMBASSY WITH GRAFFITI PAINTED OVER VIEW OF EMBASSY THROUGH BARS OF GATE SMASHED DOOR TO EMBASSY WRECKAGE IN CORRIDOR DEBRIS AND RUBBISH ON FLOOR U.S. EMBASSY DOCUMENT ON FLOOR DAMAGED ROOM SMASHED GLASS ON WALLS BROKEN CLOCK ON FLOOR DOCUMENTS, FILES, OFFICE EQUIPMENT STREWN ALL OVER FLOOR INVITATION FROM DEPUTY CHIEF OF U.S. MISSION FIRE-DAMAGED ROOM GRAFFITI ON WALL WRITTEN IN ARABIC, READING: "DOWN WITH AMERICA" WRECKED CAR, DEBRIS ON EMBASSY GROUNDS INTERIOR OF WRECKED CAR MORE OF WRECKED CAR, DEBRIS ON EMBASSY GROUNDS
- Embargoed: 28th September 2011 13:00
- Location: Libya
- Country: Libya
- Topics: Conflict
- Reuters ID: LVACSGH9Q46AR4KO918L33P3CR81
- Story Text: Wrecked cars, smashed windows, debris and loose documents spread across the interior of the former headquarters of the U.S. embassy in Tripoli on Monday (September 12) as reporters were given the first tour of the damaged building since it came under attack by Gaddafi supporters in early May.
They said the attack came in response to a NATO missile that had targeted the former Libyan leader's compound.
The embassy has since suspended its services in Tripoli.
The Italian and British embassies also came under attack at the time.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None