- Title: SOMALIA: Fighting leaves 11 civilians dead in Mogadishu
- Date: 10th September 2010
- Summary: AMISOM CONVOY DRIVING PAST
- Embargoed: 25th September 2010 13:00
- Location: Somalia
- Country: Somalia
- Reuters ID: LVADUOW2TF5LSPN0XCWW3PO2LYRJ
- Story Text: Civilians bear the brunt as Somali militants continue to push for more ground in the capital.
Eleven civilians were killed in the Somali capital Mogadishu on Wednesday night (September 8) as fighting between Islamists rebels and government forces and African Union troops intensified.
Last week, the al Qaeda-linked al Shabaab rebel group vowed to intensify its war against the U.N.-backed government which it denounces as a puppet of the West.
Uganda and Burundi have deployed more than 6,300 troops in the anarchic Horn of Africa country to guard the port and airport and shield President Sheikh Sharif Ahmed from attack.
Ahmed said his government needed more international assistance against the militants who launched their first attack on foreign soil in July, killing 79 people in the Ugandan capital, Kampala, in twin bomb attacks.
"You can see the situation we are in, because of the fighting. Every time there is gunfire I don't know where to go, but I have to leave my home because of the fighting," said Mogadishu resident Fatima Hussein.
Political analysts say the presence of foreign troops in Somalia allows the militants to pose as nationalist fighters.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None