- Title: Clashes between riot police and protesters continue for hours in Athens
- Date: 17th November 2016
- Summary: ATHENS, GREECE (NOVEMBER 17, 2016) (REUTERS) (NIGHT SHOTS) ***WARNING CONTAINS PROFANE GESTURE*** RIOT POLICE STANDING OUTSIDE ATHENS POLYTECHNIC UNIVERSITY / PROJECTILES FLYING IN THE AIR POLICE RUNNING TOWARDS PROTESTERS TAKING SHELTER INSIDE UNIVERSITY PROTESTERS THROWING PETROL BOMBS AT POLICE / POLICE RESPONDING WITH TEARGAS AND STUN GRENADES / FIRES BURNING ON THE STREET PETROL BOMBS BEING HURLED AND EXPLODING NEXT TO POLICE RIOT POLICE VARIOUS OF HOODED PROTESTERS / FIRE BURNING INSIDE UNIVERSITY MULTIPLE PETROL BOMBS BEING THROWN AT POLICE PROTESTERS STANDING IN CLOUD OF SMOKE / PROTESTER MAKING OBSCENE GESTURE AT POLICE PROTESTERS HURLING MULTIPLE PETROL BOMBS AT POLICE / FIRES BURNING ON THE STREET PROTESTERS THROWING PETROL BOMBS POLICE RUNNING TOWARDS PROTESTERS / PROTESTERS EXITING UNIVERSITY AND THROWING PETROL BOMBS AND FLARES AT POLICE / SMOKE RISING FROM TEARGAS AND FIRES POLICE AND PROTESTERS PROTESTERS VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS THROWING MULTIPLE PETROL BOMBS AT POLICE / PETROL BOMBS EXPLODING POLICE STANDING AMONGST FIRES ON STREET
- Embargoed: 2nd December 2016 21:28
- Keywords: Greece anniversary police clashes petrol bombs teargas
- Location: ATHENS, GREECE
- City: ATHENS, GREECE
- Country: Greece
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Civil Unrest
- Reuters ID: LVA00158U4CW7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Greek riot police and hooded protesters clashed on Thursday (November 17) in central Athens with multiple rounds of petrol bombs fired following an anniversary march to commemorate a 1973 bloody student revolt that helped topple the military junta ruling the country between 1967 and 1974.
The clashes broke out in the streets near the Athens Polytechnic University when black-clad protesters formed makeshift barricades made from garbage bins and furniture and hurled petrol bombs, stones and other projectiles to police who responded with volleys of teargas and stun grenades that sent thick clouds of smoke into the air.
The annual march often becomes a focal point for protests against government policies amid rising public anger at pension and wage cuts demanded by the European Union and International Monetary Fund in exchange for loans.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None