- Title: Japan's Abe says held "candid" talks with Trump in a "warm atmosphere"
- Date: 18th November 2016
- Summary: NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES (NOVEMBER 17, 2016) (REUTERS) ***WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** JAPANESE PRIME MINISTER SHINZO ABE WALKING OUT TO MICROPHONES (SOUNDBITE) (Japanese) JAPANESE PRIME MINISTER, SHINZO ABE, SAYING: "(President elect Donald Trump) was kind enough to find time today despite his extremely busy schedule while choosing his cabinet to meet with me. I believe we were able to spend quality and substantial time together in frank and candid discussions and the atmosphere of the meeting was actually a very warm one." WHITE FLASH (SOUNDBITE) (Japanese) JAPANESE PRIME MINISTER, SHINZO ABE, SAYING: "As an outcome of today's meeting and discussion, I renewed my conviction that together with Mr. Trump I will be able to establish a relationship of trust. Also with regard of the content of discussion I want to tell you that I conveyed my basic views on various issues to Mr. Trump. But with regard of more of the specifics - because of the fact that Mr. Trump has not assumed the office of the President of the United States today's discussion was unofficial - I would like to refrain from touching upon the details. But in any case, we shared the view with Mr. Trump that we will have another occasion at a mutually convenient time for our deeper discussion to cover wider range of issues." WHITE FLASH (SOUNDBITE) (Japanese) JAPANESE PRIME MINISTER, SHINZO ABE, SAYING: " I am not going to dive into details or specifics of our today's discussion with President-elect Trump, however I do believe that without trust the alliance (between our two nations) will never function, and as an outcome of today's discussion I am convinced that Mr. Trump is a leader with who can be trusted." WHITE FLASH ABE LEAVING EXTERIOR OF ENTRANCE TO TRUMP TOWER TRUMP TOWER BUILDING EXTERIOR OF ENTRANCE TO TRUMP TOWER
- Embargoed: 3rd December 2016 00:16
- Keywords: U.S. President-elect Donald Trump Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe meeting
- Location: NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES
- City: NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA00158U4RWN
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: PLEASE NOTE: SOUNDBITES SEPARATED BY WHITE FLASHES
Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said on Thursday (November 17) he was confident of building trust with Donald Trump following a meeting in which he sought clarity on campaign rhetoric from the U.S. president-elect that cast doubt on long-standing U.S. alliances.
After the hastily arranged 90-minute meeting at Trump Tower in Manhattan, Abe called Trump a trustworthy leader, although he said he would not disclose details of the conversation because the talks were unofficial.
The Republican president-elect will succeed Democratic President Barack Obama on Jan. 20.
Abe characterized the talks to reporters as "candid" and added they were held in a "warm atmosphere."
He said he had agreed to meet again with Trump in order to hold "wider and deeper talks."
The conversation came as Japan's leadership was nervous about the future strength of an alliance that is core to Tokyo's diplomacy and security.
Abe and other Asian leaders were alarmed at Trump's pledge during his election campaign to make allies pay more for help from U.S. forces, his suggestion that Japan should acquire its own nuclear weapons and his staunch opposition to the Trans-Pacific Partnership trade deal.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None