- Title: File footage of President Obama's previous Germany visits
- Date: 15th November 2016
- Summary: OBAMA AND GERMAN CHANCELLOR ANGELA MERKEL LISTENING TO NATIONAL ANTHEM VARIOUS OF OBAMA AND MERKEL RECEIVING MILITARY HONOURS
- Embargoed: 30th November 2016 17:25
- Keywords: Obama visit Germany
- Location: BERLIN, BADEN-BADEN, BUCHENWALD, KRUEN, HANOVER, GERMANY
- City: BERLIN, BADEN-BADEN, BUCHENWALD, KRUEN, HANOVER, GERMANY
- Country: Germany
- Topics: Asylum/Immigration/Refugees,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA00458K40NB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: EDIT CONTAINS MATERIAL THAT WAS ORIGINALLY 4:3
U.S. president Barack Obama already said good-bye to German Chancellor Angela Merkel at the end of April - but will now visit the country along with Greece and Peru on his last trip abroad as president.
He is expected to meet German Chancellor Angela Merkel and other European leaders in Germany and Greece. In Peru he will see Chinese President Xi Jinping and other Pacific leaders at an economic summit.
Germans have been falling out of love with the United States since George W. Bush invaded Iraq more than a dozen years ago. However, the election of Barack Obama in 2008 was seen here as proof of America's capacity to correct its "mistakes".
Obama was hailed as the heir to John F. Kennedy, who came to a divided Berlin in 1963, two years after construction of the Berlin Wall began, and reassured Germans with the word "Ich bin ein Berliner". Obama, who developed a close relationship with Merkel in his eight years in office, will make what promises to be a bittersweet farewell visit to Berlin this week.
Trump's win heralds a hard break in a relationship that grew extremely close during the Cold War, before wobbling when Germany refused to go along with Bush's Iraq war and was derided by his Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld as "old Europe".
Last week, Germany's Suddeutsche Zeitung published a cartoon of a beaming Trump opening his jacket to reveal the message "Ich bin kein Berliner" (I am not a Berliner) plastered across his chest.
- Copyright Holder: POOL (CAN SELL)
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.