- Title: Supermoon dazzles in Havana
- Date: 15th November 2016
- Summary: HAVANA, CUBA (NOVEMBER 14, 2016) (REUTERS) SUPERMOON WITH SILHOUETTE OF TREE IN FRONT OF IT SUPERMOON WITH CHE GUEVARA IMAGE IN FOREGROUND SUPERMOON WITH SIGN READING: "UNTIL VICTORY FOREVER" IN FOREGROUND GENERAL VIEW OF HAVANA WITH SUPERMOON IN THE CENTER (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) ARGENTINE TOURIST, FERNANDA GRAMATO, SAYING: "Very romantic and well, I don't know, a true surprise. I didn't expect it. It's like the touch, a golden little fruit, let's say." GENERAL VIEW OF HAVANA SEAFRONT, KNOWN AS THE "MALECON" (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) CUBAN, MAYRA VERDECIA, SAYING: "We came to see the moon which is so pretty, so big and to ask for peace, health, tranquility and all good things for the Cubans." GENERAL VIEW OF SUPERMOON OVER MALECON SUPERMOON GENERAL VIEW OF SUPERMOON OVER MALECON
- Embargoed: 30th November 2016 02:13
- Keywords: full moon white glow astronomy
- Location: HAVANA, CUBA
- City: HAVANA, CUBA
- Country: Cuba
- Topics: Arts/Culture/Entertainment
- Reuters ID: LVA00158JZLTZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Cubans and foreign tourists were dazzled on Monday (November 14) night as a glowing supermoon rose high over Havana.
Fernanda Gramato, a tourist from Argentina, marveled at the sight.
"Very romantic and well, I don't know, a true surprise. I didn't expect it. It's like the touch, a golden little fruit, let's say," she said.
Cuban, Mayra Verdecia, joined others on the Havana seafront known as the Malecon to take in the moon.
"We came to see the moon which is so pretty, so big and to ask for peace, health, tranquility and all good things for the Cubans," she said.
Cuba joined other cities throughout the world in supermoon sightings.
From Beijing to Berlin, star gazers admired the supermoon - the largest, brightest full moon in nearly seven decades - as it made its way across the skies.
The supermoon, also known as a blood moon, was produced when the shadow of Earth cast a reddish glow on the moon, the result of a rare combination of an eclipse with the closest full moon of the year.
For more than an hour on Sunday night and early on Monday morning, Earth's shadow blanketed the full moon as the planet passed between the sun and the moon.
The brilliant white glow of the moon slowly transformed into a dim red, a coloring caused by Earth's atmosphere scattering sunlight into the shadow.
The next supermoon-lunar eclipse combination will not happen until 2033.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None